Soufflés are always a hit after dinner, and these savory caramel treats are no exception. Wonderfully light and airy, these caramel soufflés are the epitome of enjoyment. The tempting scent of caramel fills the kitchen as they bake until golden brown. Served warm, these delicate soufflés reveal a delicious caramel center that oozes out with every spoonful. Each bite is a harmonious blend of sweet caramel and fluffy soufflé, creating a symphony of flavors that will leave you wanting more. Generously drizzled with a heavenly caramel sauce, these soufflés take dessert to a whole new level of decadence. A truly irresistible treat for every caramel lover!
- 100g unsalted butter, plus a little butter for greasing
- 200g light, soft brown sugar, plus 4 tbsp extra
- 200 ml whipped cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp flour
- 3 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Butter 5 x 150 ml individual soufflé molds or ramekins.
- Sprinkle everything with 2 tablespoons of soft brown sugar.
- Place the dishes on a baking sheet.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Add sugar, cream, vanilla and a good pinch of salt to the melted butter.
- Let the mixture bubble for 1 minute until it resembles a sauce.
- Pour 200ml of the mixture into a jug to serve.
- Stir the egg yolks and flour into the remaining caramel in the pot.
- Stir constantly over medium heat until mixture thickens, about 3 minutes.
- Sieve the mixture into a bowl and let it cool for 15 minutes.
- Beat egg whites in a large bowl until fluffy.
- Gradually stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar until the egg whites are stiff but not dry.
- Fold a third of the beaten egg whites into the caramel mixture in the pan.
- Fold this mixture back into the remaining beaten egg whites.
- Divide the mixture among the buttered dishes.
- Scrape the top layer with a putty knife.
- Bake until the soufflés are puffed and golden brown, about 11 minutes.
- The soufflés should still be a little loose in the middle, but not runny.
- If you are serving four soufflés, break one of the soufflés open to check for doneness.
- Return the remaining soufflés to the oven for another 2 minutes if they are undercooked.
- Serve immediately with the caramel sauce.
- While the soufflés are baking, warm the caramel sauce a little.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- Electric mixer or whisk
- Soufflé ramekins
- parchment paper
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products – unsalted butter, heavy cream, egg yolks
- Eggs – yolks, whites
Please ensure that you or your guests do not have any allergies or dietary restrictions related to these ingredients.
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. However, due to their light and airy consistency, soufflés are best enjoyed immediately after baking.
To reheat the soufflés, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and place the soufflés on a baking sheet. Bake until heated through, about 5-7 minutes.
Health benefits of caramel soufflés with caramel sauce
Caramel soufflés with caramel sauce are not only a delicious dessert option, but they also offer potential health benefits. In moderation, this sweet treat can also be enjoyed as part of a balanced diet. Let’s explore some of the health benefits associated with the ingredients used in this recipe.
1. Moderate fat consumption
The recipe contains 100g of unsalted butter, which provides the necessary fats to give the soufflés a rich and creamy texture. While butter should be consumed in moderation due to its high saturated fat content, it also contains fat-soluble vitamins such as vitamins A, E, and K. These vitamins play an essential role in various body functions, including maintaining healthy skin and supporting immune function.
2. Natural sweetness
The base of the soufflé consists of 200 g of light, soft brown sugar, which gives the dessert a natural sweetness. Compared to refined white sugar, brown sugar retains some of the molasses content, making it slightly more nutrient-dense. It contains trace amounts of minerals such as calcium, iron and potassium, which are important for maintaining bone health, transporting oxygen in the blood and supporting heart function.
3. Whipped cream for calcium
This recipe requires 200ml of whipped cream, which not only adds to the luxurious texture of the soufflé but is also a good source of calcium. Calcium is essential for maintaining strong bones and teeth, as well as for proper muscle function and blood clotting.
4. Vanilla extract for antioxidants
Adding 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract not only enhances the flavor of the soufflés, but also offers potential health benefits. Vanilla extract contains antioxidants like vanillin, which can help neutralize harmful free radicals in the body. Antioxidants play a role in reducing oxidative stress and inflammation associated with various chronic diseases.
5. Egg yolk for vitamin D
The recipe contains 2 egg yolks, which are a rich source of essential nutrients. Egg yolks contain vitamin D, an essential vitamin that helps the body absorb calcium and maintain strong bones. Vitamin D also plays a role in supporting the immune system and promoting overall health.
6. Protein from egg whites
The caramel soufflés require three egg whites, which are a high-quality source of protein. Protein is crucial for repairing and building tissue, producing enzymes and hormones, and supporting overall growth and development. Consuming adequate amounts of protein can help maintain muscle mass and promote satiety.
7. Potential energy source
This recipe contains 1 tablespoon of flour, which acts as a binding agent. Flour is a source of carbohydrates, which is the body’s main source of energy. Carbohydrates provide energy for the brain, muscles and other organs, helping you stay energized throughout the day.
Remember: While these ingredients offer potential health benefits, moderation is key. Enjoying caramel soufflés with caramel sauce as an occasional treat can be a delicious way to satisfy your sweet tooth without compromising your overall health.