This super spicy Cajun spiced salmon dinner is perfect for anyone on a low-salt diet. With a pinch of aromatic spices, this dish adds a Cajun twist to juicy salmon fillets. The combination of aromatic herbs and spices creates a tempting taste that pampers your taste buds. This wonderfully healthy recipe is not only low in salt, but also full of important nutrients. Serve this Cajun-spiced salmon with a refreshing salad or steamed vegetables for a sumptuous meal that’s both flavorful and nutritious.
- 2 salmon fillets, about 140 g each
- Juice 1 lime
- Pinch of chili powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika powder
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- Pinch of soft brown sugar
- Drizzle of sunflower oil
- steamed rice for serving
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and diced
- a handful of cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- Juice 1 lime
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Bunch of coriander, half roughly chopped, half picked into twigs
- Place the salmon in a bowl, pour the lime juice over it and let the salmon “cure” for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix all the spices with the sugar.
- Remove the salmon from the lime juice and toss in the spices to coat completely.
- Heat the grill to the highest level.
- Grease a baking tray and place the salmon on it, flesh side up.
- Grill for 5 minutes until the salmon is cooked through and the edges begin to blacken.
- While the salmon is cooking, gently mix all the salsa ingredients with the coarsely chopped cilantro.
- When the fish is cooked, serve with the salsa, some rice and the coriander sprigs.
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- cutting board
- Juicer or citrus press
- measuring spoon
- Small mixing bowl
- Drizzle with the bottle or spoon
- Frying pan or grill pan
- Spatula or tongs
- Steamer basket or rice cooker
This Cajun Seasoned Salmon recipe contains the following allergens:
- Fish (salmon)
Please note whether you or your guests have any allergies or dietary restrictions.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover Cajun seasoned salmon, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days. To reheat, you can gently warm the salmon in a skillet or in the microwave until warmed through. However, for optimal flavor and texture, it is best to consume the salmon freshly cooked.
The Health Benefits of Cajun-Spiced Salmon
Salmon is not only delicious but also incredibly nutritious. Combined with a blend of Cajun spices, it creates a tasty and healthy dish full of health benefits. Here’s why you should consider adding Cajun-spiced salmon to your diet:
1. Excellent source of protein
Salmon is a fantastic source of high-quality protein as it contains all the essential amino acids your body needs. Protein is important for building and repairing tissue, supporting the immune system, and promoting healthy hair, skin, and nails.
2. Omega-3 fatty acids
Salmon is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, particularly eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). These fatty acids are known for their anti-inflammatory properties and have been linked to numerous health benefits, including reduced risk of heart disease, improved brain function, and lower inflammation in the body.
3. Rich in vitamins and minerals
Salmon is a great source of vitamins and minerals. It is particularly rich in vitamin B12, which is important for the production of red blood cells and the proper functioning of the nervous system. Additionally, salmon contains vitamin D, which plays a crucial role in bone health, immune function and overall well-being.
4. Promotes heart health
Salmon’s combination of omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and low saturated fat content make it a heart-healthy choice. Regular consumption of salmon is associated with a reduced risk of cardiovascular diseases such as heart attack, stroke and high blood pressure.
5. Supports brain function
The omega-3 fatty acids found in salmon are essential for optimal brain health. They have been shown to support cognitive function, improve memory and reduce the risk of age-related cognitive decline. Including Cajun-spiced salmon in your diet can help keep your brain sharp and healthy.
6. Helps lose weight
Salmon is a low-calorie yet filling food that can help you lose weight. Its high protein content helps increase satiety and reduce appetite, which can lead to you consuming fewer calories throughout the day. Additionally, the healthy fats in salmon provide sustained energy and help regulate blood sugar levels.
By combining the flavors of Cajun spices with the nutrient-dense salmon, you can enjoy a meal that is not only delicious but also beneficial to your overall health. Try this Cajun-Spiced Salmon recipe and experience the numerous health benefits!