This comforting and creamy pasta bake for the whole family is given a delicious twist with the addition of roasted butternut squash. The sweet and slightly nutty flavor of the pumpkin pairs perfectly with the rich and cheesy macaroni, creating a delicious flavor combination. With its creamy sauce and gooey, melted cheese topping, this delicious dish will be a hit with both kids and adults. Roasted pumpkin adds a healthy twist to the classic macaroni cheese, making it the perfect choice for a casual dinner or potluck gathering. Try this irresistible butternut macaroni cheese recipe today!
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cut into 2½cm pieces
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 300g macaroni
- 50g butter
- 50g plain flour
- 1 tsp English mustard powder
- 500 ml milk
- 200g extra mature cheddar or vegetarian alternative, grated
- 50g Parmesan or vegetarian alternative, grated
- Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7.
- Toss the pumpkin with olive oil and some spices and roast on a baking sheet for 15-20 minutes until soft.
- Cook the macaroni according to package instructions and drain.
- Melt the butter in a pan and mix the flour and mustard powder into a paste.
- Gradually stir in the milk and simmer, stirring constantly, until a smooth sauce forms.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and mash a third of the squash with the cheddar and half of the parmesan.
- Season and then stir in the drained macaroni with the remaining pumpkin.
- Place in an ovenproof dish and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.
Equipment and tools
Here are the equipment and tools you need to make butternut macaroni cheese:
- wooden spoon
This butternut macaroni cheese recipe contains the following allergens:
- Gluten (macaroni)
- Dairy products (butter, milk, cheddar, parmesan)
Please consider these allergens before consuming the dish.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover butternut macaroni cheese, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When reheating, be sure to cover the dish with foil to prevent it from drying out. Enjoy!
Health Benefits of Butternut Macaroni Cheese
Butternut Macaroni Cheese is a delicious and comforting dish that combines the creaminess of cheese with the natural sweetness of butternut squash. Not only is it a delicious comfort food, but it also offers several health benefits. Let’s explore some of the reasons why you should include this dish in your diet:
1. Nutrient-rich butternut squash
The main ingredient of butternut macaroni cheese is undoubtedly butternut squash. This vibrant and flavorful vegetable is packed with important nutrients and vitamins. It is an excellent source of vitamin A, which is vital for maintaining healthy skin, promoting good vision and supporting a strong immune system. Additionally, butternut squash is rich in vitamin C, potassium, and fiber, all of which contribute to overall well-being and a healthy digestive system.
2. Rich in antioxidants
Both butternut squash and cheese contain antioxidants that help neutralize harmful free radicals in the body. Free radicals can cause oxidative stress and lead to various chronic health conditions. The antioxidants in butternut squash, such as beta-carotene, vitamin C and vitamin E, help fight the effects of free radicals and potentially reduce the risk of inflammation, heart disease and certain cancers.
3. Calcium and protein from cheese
The cheesy component of butternut macaroni cheese contributes to its protein and calcium content. Protein is important for building and repairing tissue in the body, supporting muscle health and promoting satiety. Calcium, on the other hand, is crucial for strong bones and teeth as well as the proper functioning of nerves and muscles. However, it is important to choose a vegetarian cheese alternative if you follow a vegetarian diet.
4. Rich in fiber
The macaroni used in this dish is typically made from durum wheat, which is a good source of fiber. Fiber supports digestion, prevents constipation and promotes a healthy intestine. It also helps control blood sugar levels, lowers cholesterol and helps maintain a healthy body weight. Including fiber-rich foods like macaroni in your diet can support overall digestive health.
5. Versatility and portion control
Butternut macaroni cheese can easily be customized with additional vegetables like broccoli or spinach for an extra nutritional boost. This dish also allows for portion control as the combination of butternut squash and macaroni helps create a filling meal without excessive amounts of cheese or other high-calorie ingredients.
So if you’re looking for a comforting yet nutritious meal, try butternut macaroni cheese. It offers a delicious combination of flavors, essential nutrients, antioxidants and fiber, making it a healthier option compared to traditional macaroni and cheese dishes.