Treat yourself to a delicious breakfast with our Buttermilk French Toast recipe, served with a delicious fresh berry compote. Treat yourself to the perfect blend of creamy buttermilk and golden brown toast, creating a heavenly combination of textures. The tang of the compote, made from a variety of delicious, seasonal berries, enhances the sweet flavors of the toast and adds a touch of freshness. This delicious dish is sure to be a crowd pleaser and a perfect way to start your day, bringing joy and satisfaction with every bite.
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 large egg whites
- 475 ml buttermilk
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 8 slices of high-quality wholemeal bread, each about 2.5 cm thick, cut in half diagonally
- Butter flavored non-stick cooking spray
- Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
- Fresh berries (optional)
- FOR FRESH BERRY COMPOT
- ¾ cup fresh blueberries
- ¾ cup fresh raspberries
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp grated orange peel
- 3 ounces fresh orange juice (from about 1 large orange)
- Pinch of kosher salt
- In a large, wide bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, buttermilk, honey, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt.
- Over medium-high heat, heat a heavy nonstick skillet or two skillets large enough to fit all the French toast slices in a single layer without crowding them.
- Dip the bread slices into the egg mixture, turning them over and making sure they are completely saturated.
- Spray the heated pan(s) with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add the soaked bread pieces and fry until golden brown on both sides, 5 to 7 minutes total.
- To make the fresh berry compote, in a non-reactive pot, combine blueberries, raspberries, honey, orange peel, orange juice and salt.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, and continue to simmer until the berries have released some of their juice and become slightly syrupy, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Place the berry compote in a serving bowl and keep warm.
- Arrange 2 slices of French toast on each of four preheated serving plates.
- Pour some compote over each portion.
- If necessary, place some powdered sugar in a small, fine-mesh sieve held over each plate and tap the sieve lightly to dust the French toast.
- Garnish with fresh berries.
- Serve with some berry compote on the side.
Equipment and tools
To make buttermilk French toast with fresh berry compote, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Large mixing bowl
- frying pan
- measuring spoon
- measuring cup
This Buttermilk French Toast with Fresh Berry Compote recipe contains the following allergens:
Please make sure that the ingredients you use do not contain any other potential allergens.
Storage and leftovers
If you have any leftover buttermilk French toast with fresh berry compote, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. To reheat, simply warm them in a toaster or skillet until heated through.
Health Benefits of Buttermilk French Toast with Fresh Berry Compote
When it comes to breakfast, you want something tasty and filling that also provides you with essential nutrients to start your day right. Buttermilk French Toast with Fresh Berry Compote is a perfect option that not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers numerous health benefits.
1. High in protein
A serving of this dish, consisting of 2 large eggs and 2 large egg whites, provides a significant amount of high-quality protein. Protein plays an important role in building and repairing tissue, supporting a healthy immune system, and promoting satiety, making it an excellent choice for a nutritious breakfast.
2. Nutrient-rich buttermilk
Buttermilk is a flavorful and creamy dairy product that is low in fat and calories but high in essential nutrients. It is an excellent source of calcium, which is crucial for strong bones and teeth. Buttermilk also contains probiotics, beneficial bacteria that promote a healthy gut and improve digestion.
3. Antioxidant boost
The fresh berry compote gives the dish a touch of flavor and a strong antioxidant effect. Blueberries and raspberries are rich in antioxidants, including vitamins C and E, which help protect your cells from damage caused by harmful free radicals. Antioxidants also have anti-inflammatory properties that contribute to overall health and well-being.
4. High-fiber whole grain bread
Using high-quality whole grain bread provides a good source of fiber. Fiber is essential for a healthy digestive system, helps regulate blood sugar levels, promotes satiety and thus aids in weight control. Whole grain bread also contains important nutrients such as B vitamins and minerals.
5. Natural sweeteners
Adding honey to the recipe as a natural sweetener not only brings a touch of sweetness but also some health benefits. Honey contains small amounts of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. It’s a better choice than refined sugar and can help soothe a sore throat and promote digestive health.
6. Vitamin C from oranges
The fresh orange peel and juice in the berry compote add to the overall flavor of the dish. In addition to their refreshing taste, oranges are rich in vitamin C, which is essential for a healthy immune system, collagen production and iron absorption. Vitamin C also acts as an antioxidant and protects cells from damage.
Overall, this Buttermilk French Toast with Fresh Berry Compote is a delicious and nutritious breakfast option. It offers a balanced combination of proteins, fiber, antioxidants, essential nutrients and natural sweeteners. Try it out and start your day healthy!