This savory potato cake comes from Lancashire and is a bit like a giant cheese pie. Our version contains a delicious combination of crisp apples, savory cheese and fragrant thyme. The buttery pie crust envelops a filling full of flavors and creates a comforting and healthy dish. With the perfect balance of sweet and savory, this apple and cheese butter cake is sure to be a crowd-pleaser for any occasion. Serve warm straight from the oven and enjoy every delicious bite.
- 800g potatoes (we used Desiree), cut into 5mm thick slices
- 50g unsalted butter, plus 25g (optional)
- 2 large (not bland) onions, halved and thinly sliced
- ½ small pack of thyme
- 2 Cox apples
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 500g whole butter shortcrust pastry, thawed if frozen
- Flour for dusting
- 175g mature Lancashire cheese or cheddar, grated or crumbled
- beaten egg, for glazing
- pickled cabbage or beets for serving (optional)
Use up the remaining potatoes
Leftover potatoes can be ideally used in this recipe: Cut them into slices and add them to the pan along with the cooling onions and apples.
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil.
- Cook the potatoes until just tender but not falling apart, 8 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and let them steam dry in a sieve.
- In the meantime, heat the butter in a wide pan.
- Stir in onions, spices and thyme.
- Cover the pan and cook the onions until translucent and golden brown, 8 minutes.
- Peel and slice apples.
- Drizzle the apples with lemon juice.
- Cook the apples and onions in the now open pan for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Mix in the potatoes and let the mixture cool.
- Remove the thyme.
- Cut almost two thirds of the dough off the block.
- Shape the dough into rounds.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface until it is large enough to line a deep 9-inch loose-bottomed tart pan, leaving some overhang.
- Fill the crust with layers of the potato-apple mixture and all but 1 tablespoon of the cheese.
- Sprinkle with remaining butter (if using) and season generously.
- Brush the overhanging edge of the dough with egg.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas 5.
- Place a baking sheet in the oven to heat up.
- Shape the remaining dough into rounds.
- Roll out the remaining dough until it is just large enough to cover the top of the cake.
- Pinch the edges of the dough together.
- Cut the cake by pressing the edge of the pan all the way around with your thumb.
- Brush the cake with egg.
- Cut slits in the cake to allow steam to escape.
- Slide the cake onto the hot baking sheet.
- Cook for 1 hour, sprinkling with the remaining cheese 10 minutes before the end, until the dough and cheese are golden brown.
- Serve warm or eat cold with pickled cabbage or turnips on the side.
Equipment and tools
To prepare and cook the “butter cake” with apples and cheese, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Cutting knife or mandolin
- frying pan
- baking pan
- baking tray
- Pastry brush
Please note the following allergen information for the butter cake with apples and cheese:
- Contains dairy products (butter, cheese)
- Contains gluten (pastries)
Storage and leftovers
How to store the butter cake with apples and cheese:
- Allow the cake to cool completely.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap or transfer to an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat leftovers:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Place the cake on a baking sheet.
- Heat for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
Article Section: Health Benefits of “Butter Pie” with Apples and Cheese
When it comes to comfort food, there’s hardly a dish that can compete with a hearty slice of apple and cheese butter pie. Not only does this savory cake offer a delicious combination of flavors and textures, but it also comes with several health benefits. With an emphasis on healthy ingredients like potatoes, apples and cheese, this dish is not only filling but also provides important nutrients that support overall well-being.
One of the main ingredients in this recipe is potatoes. Potatoes are an excellent source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, potassium and vitamin B6. These nutrients play a crucial role in maintaining a healthy immune system, promoting heart health and supporting brain function. In addition, potatoes are a good source of fiber, which aids digestion and promotes satiety.
Apples, another key ingredient in this dish, are known for their health benefits. Packed with antioxidants and fiber, apples can help lower cholesterol, improve digestion and reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes and certain cancers. Apples also add a natural sweetness to the cake, reducing the need for added sugar.
In addition to the health benefits of potatoes and apples, this “butter pie” recipe includes cheese, which gives the dish a rich and creamy texture. Cheese, especially mature Lancashire or Cheddar cheese, is a good source of protein and calcium. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissue, while calcium is crucial for maintaining strong bones and teeth.
The all-butter shortcrust pastry in this recipe creates a buttery and flaky crust that perfectly complements the filling. While pastries are typically high in fat, choosing a shortcrust pastry with real butter can have its benefits. Butter is a natural source of healthy fats, including monounsaturated fats, which, when consumed in moderation, can help improve cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.
To ensure a balanced and nutritious meal, it is recommended to serve this “butter pie” with a side dish of sauerkraut or beets. These vegetables provide a refreshing and tangy contrast to the rich flavors of the cake while providing additional vitamins, minerals and fiber.
In summary, apple and cheese butter pie is not only a delicious comfort food but also a dish that offers various health benefits. From the nutrient-dense potatoes and apples to the protein- and calcium-rich cheese, this recipe contains healthy ingredients that support overall wellness. Enjoy a slice of this savory cake knowing you’re treating yourself to a delicious and nutritious meal.
Remember to enjoy this delicious cake in moderation, savoring every bite and appreciating the balance of flavors and textures it offers.