Do you cringe at the thought of Brussels sprouts? Think again! Our irresistible Brussels Sprouts with Hazelnut and Orange Butter recipe will change your mind. These delicious sprouts are beautifully tamed by a delicious citrus butter with the sweetness of oranges. Additionally, you can make the butter in advance so the flavors intensify over time. Whether you’re a long-time Brussels skeptic or a die-hard Brussels fan, this dish is guaranteed to delight your taste buds and leave you wanting more!
- 85g butter, softened
- finely grated peel of a small orange
- 50g chopped roasted hazelnuts (you can buy these in a pack)
- 1¼kg Brussels sprouts, cleaned and halved
- 340g pack of frozen petits pois
If you can’t find a package of ready-roasted hazelnuts, there are two ways to roast hazelnuts yourself. The first is to spread them out on a thick baking sheet and roast them under the grill. The second, less inconvenient option is to heat a heavy-based frying pan, add the nuts and dry-fry until brown. Both methods require constant shaking to prevent the nuts from burning.
1. Mix the butter, orange peel and hazelnuts in a small bowl with some freshly ground black pepper. Make sure you mix the ingredients thoroughly. This step can be done up to 2-3 days in advance and stored covered in the refrigerator.
2. Place the Brussels sprouts in a pot of boiling salted water. Make sure the water is boiling before adding the sprouts.
3. Bring the water back to a boil and cover the pan. Let the sprouts cook for about 4-5 minutes.
4. Add the peas and sprouts to the pan. Cook for another 2 minutes to ensure the sprouts are properly cooked.
5. After cooking, carefully drain the sprouts and peas, making sure to remove excess water.
6. Add the sprouts and peas back to the pan.
7. Mix the sprouts and peas with the previously prepared flavored butter. Make sure the butter melts completely and covers the vegetables.
8. Season the dish with salt and pepper to taste.
9. Place the Brussels sprouts in a warmed serving bowl with the hazelnut and orange butter. Be sure to maintain the temperature of the dish to keep it warm and ready to serve.
Equipment and tools
To prepare Brussels sprouts with hazelnut and orange butter, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Thick baking tray
- Heavy-based frying pan
- cutting board
- Whisk or spoon
The Brussels sprouts with hazelnut-orange butter recipe contains the following allergens:
- Nuts (hazelnuts)
- Dairy products (butter)
Storage and leftovers
If you have any leftover Brussels sprouts with hazelnut-orange butter, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply heat them in the microwave or on the stove until warmed through.
The Health Benefits of Brussels Sprouts with Hazelnut and Orange Butter
Brussels sprouts are often overlooked in cooking, but they are actually an incredibly nutritious vegetable that offers several health benefits. Combined with hazelnuts and orange butter, this dish becomes a delicious and nutritious addition to any meal.
1. Rich in nutrients
Brussels sprouts are full of vitamins and minerals and are therefore a great addition to a balanced diet. They contain a particularly high amount of vitamin C, which strengthens the immune system and helps the body fight off infections. Additionally, they are a good source of vitamin K, which plays a crucial role in blood clotting and bone health.
2. Rich in fiber
Eating Brussels sprouts can improve digestion and maintain a healthy weight due to their high fiber content. Fiber adds bulk to the diet, which can promote satiety and prevent overeating. It also helps regulate bowel movements and prevent constipation.
3. Antioxidant power
Brussels sprouts are full of antioxidants that protect the body from damage caused by harmful free radicals. These antioxidants, such as vitamin C and vitamin A, reduce inflammation and oxidative stress, which are major contributors to chronic diseases such as heart disease and certain types of cancer.
4. Supports heart health
Regular consumption of Brussels sprouts can have positive effects on heart health. They are rich in compounds called glucosinolates, which have been shown to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. In addition, their high fiber content helps lower cholesterol and regulate blood pressure.
5. Ideal for weight management
Including Brussels sprouts in your diet can have a positive effect on weight management. They’re low in calories but high in fiber, meaning they can help you feel fuller for longer without consuming excess calories. By adding hazelnuts to this recipe, you get a healthy dose of protein and healthy fats, which also contribute to feeling full after eating.
Incorporate Brussels sprouts into your diet
Now that you know the health benefits of Brussels sprouts, it’s time to incorporate them into your diet. This delicious Brussels Sprouts with Hazelnut and Orange Butter recipe is a perfect way to enjoy the nutritional benefits and flavors of this underrated vegetable.
For this dish you will need Brussels sprouts, frozen petits pois, butter, orange zest and chopped toasted hazelnuts. Simply cook the Brussels sprouts and petits pois until tender, then toss them with the hazelnut-orange butter mixture. The result is a healthy and flavorful side dish that pairs well with a variety of main dishes.
So why wait? Reap the health benefits of Brussels sprouts today and try this delicious recipe!