Do you love mac ‘n’ cheese? Try this hearty vegetarian pasta dish with cheese and breadcrumbs. The addition of broccoli and the use of whole wheat pasta enhance the flavor and nutritional values.
This delicious recipe combines the creamy goodness of melted cheese with the satisfying crunch of brown breadcrumbs. The healthy broccoli not only provides a bright green color, but also provides important vitamins and minerals, making this dish a nutritious feast for the whole family.
Treat yourself to the ultimate feel-good experience while enjoying the added benefits of whole wheat pasta. The nutty taste and higher fiber content of whole-wheat pasta make this dish a guilt-free pleasure.
Satisfy your cheese cravings while nourishing your body with this delicious twist on a beloved classic. Make this Broccoli Cheese with Whole Wheat Pasta and Brown Breadcrumbs your favorite recipe for a delicious and healthy meal.
- 300g short wholemeal pasta shapes
- 800 g broccoli (approx. 3 heads), cut into large florets
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1.2 liters of milk
- 1 bay leaf, slightly crumpled
- 60g butter
- 60g plain flour
- 200 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 60g fresh brown breadcrumbs
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta until al dente – this will take a few minutes less than the package instructions suggest.
- Halfway through the pasta cooking time, add the broccoli to the pan.
- Drain the pasta and broccoli and toss in the oil to coat.
- While the pasta and broccoli are cooking, bring the milk with the bay leaf to the boil in a separate pot, then remove from the heat and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the flour to the melted butter and stir.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring frequently, for a few minutes, until well combined and beginning to stick to the pan.
- Gradually stir in the warm, infused milk, making sure that no lumps form.
- Reduce heat to low and cook gently for 8-10 minutes, until sauce is thickened and smooth.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in three quarters of the cheese, mustard, nutmeg, plenty of black pepper and a little salt.
- Remove the bay leaf from the milk.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Place the cooked pasta and broccoli in a large baking dish.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta and broccoli.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese and breadcrumbs over the dish.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Equipment and tools
To make broccoli cheese with whole wheat pasta and breadcrumbs, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Big pot
- baking pan
- baking tray
- frying pan
- cutting board
The Broccoli Cheese with Whole Wheat Pasta and Breadcrumbs recipe contains the following allergens:
- Wheat (whole wheat pasta)
- Gluten (breadcrumbs)
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover broccoli cheese with whole wheat pasta and breadcrumbs, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When reheating, you may need to add a splash of milk to keep the dish from drying out.
Health Benefits of Broccoli Cheese with Whole Wheat Pasta and Brown Breadcrumbs
Broccoli cheese with whole wheat pasta and brown breadcrumbs is not only a delicious and comforting dish, but it also offers several health benefits. Packed with nutritious ingredients, this recipe makes for a balanced and healthy meal.
1. Whole wheat pasta
Using whole wheat pasta in this recipe provides more nutrients compared to traditional white pasta. Whole-wheat pasta contains more fiber, which aids digestion, helps maintain a healthy weight, and reduces the risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
Broccoli is a cruciferous vegetable known for its exceptional health benefits. It is a great source of vitamins C, K and A, as well as folic acid, potassium and fiber. The high vitamin C content in broccoli supports a healthy immune system, while vitamin K is essential for bone health. Additionally, the antioxidants found in broccoli may help reduce the risk of chronic diseases, including cancer.
3. Olive oil
Using olive oil in this recipe adds healthy fats to the dish. Olive oil is rich in monounsaturated fats and antioxidants, which may help reduce inflammation, lower cholesterol and protect against heart disease. Including olive oil in your diet may also have potential benefits for weight management and overall brain health.
4. Dijon mustard
The addition of Dijon mustard not only enhances the flavor but also provides health benefits. Mustard is low in calories and can add flavor to dishes without adding excessive fat, sugar or sodium. Mustard also contains antioxidants and may have anti-inflammatory properties.
Using freshly grated nutmeg gives the dish a warm and slightly sweet flavor. Nutmeg has traditionally been used in natural remedies for various health conditions, such as supporting digestion, relieving inflammation, improving sleep quality, and increasing cognitive function.
6. Brown breadcrumbs
Replacing the traditional white breadcrumbs with brown breadcrumbs adds extra fiber to the dish. Fiber supports digestion, ensures a feeling of satiety and supports a healthy intestine. Brown breadcrumbs also provide important nutrients, including B vitamins and minerals.
By incorporating these nutritious ingredients into your diet, this Broccoli Cheese with Whole Wheat Pasta and Brown Breadcrumbs recipe can be a delicious way to support your overall health and well-being.