Treat yourself to the delicious flavors of summer with this super healthy broad bean and zucchini salad. Created by renowned chef Angela Hartnett, this vibrant salad celebrates the essence of the season by highlighting the splendor of broad beans. Packed with essential nutrients and bursting with fresh flavors, this dish is a true tribute to summer produce. The combination of tender broad beans and crunchy zucchini provides a wonderful texture, while the tempting mix of herbs and spicy dressing enhances the overall taste. Treat yourself to this delicious salad and enjoy the best of summer’s bounty!
- 8 small or 4 medium zucchini
- 200 g peeled broad beans, about 1 kg (without shell)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 10 walnut halves, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 50 ml olive oil
Buy broad beans still in their pods
should be firm and crisp; all that are soft
were picked some time ago and are outdated
preferably. Store in a paper bag in the refrigerator
up to five days and pod as needed.
When they are young and fresh, they only need a short time
Cook and are a pleasure raw. Once
When the dish is cooked, remove the skin to turn it into a double pod
Beans, revealing two tiny beans inside.
- Mix the white wine vinegar and olive oil together with some spices to make a vinaigrette. Put aside.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil and add the broad beans. Let cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the broad beans and dip them in ice water. Allow to cool slightly before removing the peel.
- Cut the baby zucchini diagonally into 4-5 pieces. If using medium sized zucchini, cut them into four lengthwise and cut them into 5mm thick pieces.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the zucchini to the pan and cook, stirring, until light golden in color, 5-8 minutes.
- Add the broad beans to the pan along with some spices. Cook for another 30 seconds.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the warm vinaigrette.
- Serve the salad with the chopped walnuts sprinkled on top.
Equipment and tools
No special equipment or tools are required for this recipe.
This recipe contains walnuts, which may be an allergen for some people. Please be aware of any allergies or sensitivities when preparing this dish.
Storage and leftovers
Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. For the best taste and texture, it is recommended to consume the salad fresh.
Health Benefits of Broad Bean and Zucchini Salad
The broad bean and zucchini salad is not only delicious, but also offers a number of health benefits. This salad is packed with nutrients and is a great way to incorporate vegetables into your diet. Let’s take a look at some of the key health benefits of this refreshing dish:
1. Rich in fiber
Zucchini, also known as zucchini, is rich in fiber. Fiber is essential for maintaining a healthy digestive system. It helps regulate bowel movements, prevents constipation and aids weight management by making you feel full longer.
2. Good source of vitamins
Broad beans and zucchini are excellent sources of vitamins. They are particularly rich in vitamin C, which is known for its immune-boosting properties. Vitamin C also acts as an antioxidant, protecting your body from damage caused by harmful free radicals.
3. Rich in antioxidants
The walnuts used in this recipe are full of antioxidants. Antioxidants help neutralize free radicals in your body, reducing the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and certain cancers.
4. Heart healthy
Olive oil, a key ingredient in this salad, is known for its heart-healthy properties. It is rich in monounsaturated fats, which may help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. The combination of olive oil and walnuts in this salad makes it an excellent choice for heart health.
5. High in protein
Broad beans are a great source of plant-based protein. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissue as well as producing enzymes and hormones in our body. Including protein in your meals, like in this salad, can help you feel fuller for longer and support muscle growth and maintenance.
6. Friendly for losing weight
This salad is low in calories, making it a suitable option for anyone looking to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight. The high fiber content of zucchini and broad beans may also help with weight control by promoting satiety and reducing overeating.
In conclusion, the broad bean and zucchini salad is not only a tasty but also a nutritious dish. It’s packed with fiber, vitamins, antioxidants and healthy fats. Adding this salad to your diet can provide a number of health benefits, including improved digestion, a strengthened immune system, and supporting heart health.