Want to treat yourself to a delicious and easy-to-prepare meal that’s perfect for non-Muslims? Then this incredible braised duck with cabbage and potatoes recipe is for you. Created by the talented Barney Desmazery, this one-pot solo dinner is not only delicious, but it also ensures minimal cleanup afterward. Enjoy the rich flavors of tender duck paired with cabbage and potatoes to create a filling and healthy dish that will leave you satisfied and satisfied. Treat yourself to this delicious recipe today and have a truly delicious dining experience.
- 1 duck breast, about 200 g
- 2 slices smoked bacon, each cut into about 6 pieces
- 1 medium waxy potato such as Desirée or Maris Piper, peeled and cut into about 8 pieces
- ¼ savoy cabbage, roughly chopped (without stalk)
- 150 ml chicken broth
- large pinch of chopped parsley
- small pinch of minced garlic (optional)
- Heat a small saucepan (one with a lid) over medium heat.
- Season the breast, place it skin side down in the pan and reduce the heat to the lowest setting.
- Let sizzle, uncovered, for about 15 minutes, until the skin is golden brown and crispy and most of the fat has been released.
- Do not shake the pan or move the duck.
- Take out the duck (the meat side is raw).
- Pour off a little more than half of the fat (reserve for frying vegetables later) and increase the heat slightly.
- Add the bacon and fry for 2-3 minutes until crispy.
- Add the potato, cover, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the potato looks sticky and is just starting to brown around the edges.
- Add the cabbage and stir until shiny.
- Pour in the broth.
- Place the duck, skin side up, between the cabbage and potatoes and cover the pan.
- Simmer gently for 10 minutes until the vegetables are soft and the duck is cooked through.
- Remove the duck from the pan and stir in the parsley and garlic.
- To serve, place vegetables, bacon and juice on a plate and place the duck on top.
- Pour a glass of wine and enjoy the aromas of fall.
Equipment and tools
- cutting board
- measuring cup
- wooden spoon
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- duck breast
- Smoked bacon
- chicken broth
Please note that this recipe may also contain other allergens not listed. Be sure to check the packaging of all ingredients used.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, allow the dish to cool completely before transferring to an airtight container. Refrigerate and use within 2-3 days.
Health Benefits of Braised Duck with Cabbage and Potatoes
Braised duck with cabbage and potatoes is not only a delicious and comforting dish, but also offers several health benefits. This recipe combines the rich flavors of duck breast, smoked bacon, potatoes and savoy cabbage, making it a nutrient-dense meal that can contribute to your overall well-being. Let’s explore some of the health benefits the ingredients offer:
1. Duck breast
Duck breast is a great source of high-quality protein. It is also low in saturated fats, making it a healthier option compared to other meats. In addition, duck breast contains important nutrients such as iron, zinc, vitamin B6 and vitamin B12, which are important for maintaining health.
2. Smoked bacon
The addition of smoked bacon gives this recipe a savory and smoky flavor. While bacon should be consumed in moderation due to its high sodium and fat content, smoked bacon contains fewer nitrates compared to regular bacon. It also provides protein and important vitamins and minerals.
Waxy potatoes like Desirée or Maris Piper are an excellent source of carbohydrates, fiber and various vitamins and minerals. Potatoes are particularly rich in potassium, vitamin C and B vitamins, which promote a healthy immune system, aid digestion and support brain function.
4. Savoy cabbage
Savoy cabbage, known for its wavy bright green leaves, is a cruciferous vegetable that offers numerous health benefits. It is a great source of fiber and contains several vitamins including vitamin C, vitamin K and vitamin B6. Eating cabbage can aid digestion, boost the immune system, and contribute to healthy skin and hair.
5. Chicken broth
Chicken broth provides a flavorful base for this dish. It can be homemade or store-bought. Chicken broth contains collagen, which supports joint health and promotes healthy skin. It also provides vitamins and minerals, including calcium and magnesium. However, be careful of the sodium content when using store-bought broth.
6. Parsley and garlic
Parsley and garlic give this recipe an aromatic note. Both ingredients offer potential health benefits. Parsley is rich in antioxidants and vitamin C, which help fight inflammation and boost the immune system. Garlic contains compounds that have been linked to various health benefits, including improved heart health and improved immune function.
Overall, Braised Duck with Cabbage and Potatoes is a dish that not only satisfies your taste buds but also provides a range of nutrients. Including this recipe in your diet can support your overall health and well-being.