Indulge in the amazing flavors of our delicious Braised Chicory with Fried Homemade Cod recipe. By simmering the chicory heads in a rich and aromatic broth, we ensure a tender and juicy side dish that pairs perfectly with the star of the meal – the pan-fried homemade cod. Ideal for a seafood dinner or as the centerpiece of an impressive dinner party, this dish promises to tantalize your taste buds and leave your guests wanting more. Prepare to discover a delicious combination of textures and flavors in every delicious bite.
- 4 thick slices of fresh cod (approx. 200 g), cut from the thick end of the fillet, with skin on
- 3 tablespoons salt flakes or coarse rock salt
- grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 4 large chicory heads (approx. 750 g)
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 50g butter
- 300 ml good chicken stock
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp small capers, drained
- 1 tbsp olive oil for frying
- small package of flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- crusty bread for serving (optional)
Also called Belgian endive, this elegant vegetable with its refreshingly bitter flavor is grown in the dark to keep it white and crisp. It’s great in a salad if you slice it and add it at the last minute (before the tops brown); A little honey and mustard underline the nutty taste. If you’ve never tried braised chicory before, you’re in for a treat. It goes particularly well with meat dishes or fish.
- Wash the cod fillets and trim as necessary.
- Gently feel the cod with your fingers to find and remove any bones in the center of the fillets.
- Place the fish, skin side down, in a shallow bowl.
- Mix the salt with the lemon peel and sprinkle evenly over the fillets.
- Cover the dish with cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
- Cut the chicory in half lengthwise and remove the hard core in the middle.
- Blanch the chicory in plenty of boiling water for 2 minutes, then drain well.
- Heat extra virgin olive oil and butter in a large skillet.
- Add the chicory to the pan, cut side down, and cook for 5 minutes or until the top begins to brown.
- Turn the chicory and pour in the lemon juice and stock.
- Add the garlic, season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 20 minutes.
- Wash the cod fillets under cold water and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Brush the fish with olive oil.
- Place the fish, skin side down, in a heavy-based nonstick pan.
- Cook the fish over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes or until the skin is golden brown and the fish is almost opaque.
- Turn the fish over and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Turn the fish over again, remove the pan from the heat and let the fish rest for 2 minutes.
- Add the capers to the chicory and sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve the chicory with the fried cod and, if desired, with crusty bread.
Equipment and tools
- Large frying pan
- baking pan
- Garlic press
- This recipe contains fish (cod) and butter.
- It may also contain traces of gluten when served with crusty bread.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container and refrigerate. They can be consumed within 2-3 days. Reheat the dish thoroughly before serving again.
Health Benefits of Braised Chicory with Fried Cod
Chicory, also known as Belgian endive, is a vegetable that offers numerous health benefits. Combined with fried cod, this dish becomes not only delicious, but also nutritious. Here are some of the health benefits of braised chicory with fried cod:
1. Rich in vitamins and minerals
Chicory is packed with essential vitamins and minerals that have positive effects on overall health. It is a good source of vitamin C, which strengthens the immune system and promotes collagen production. In addition, chicory contains vitamin K, which supports bone health and blood clotting. It also provides minerals such as potassium, calcium and iron.
2. Rich in antioxidants
Antioxidants are compounds that protect the body from damage caused by harmful free radicals. Chicory is rich in antioxidants, including phenolic compounds and flavonoids, which are associated with reducing inflammation and preventing chronic diseases such as heart disease and certain cancers.
3. Supports digestive health
Chicory is known for its prebiotic properties, meaning it serves as food for the beneficial bacteria in the gut. The fiber contained in chicory promotes regular bowel movements, prevents constipation and supports a healthy digestive system.
4. Heart healthy
The omega-3 fatty acids contained in cod have a positive effect on heart health. These healthy fats can help lower cholesterol, reduce inflammation, and improve overall cardiovascular function. Combined with braised chicory, which is low in saturated fat and cholesterol, this dish is a heart-healthy choice.
5. Provides essential proteins
Fresh cod is a great source of lean protein. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissue, supporting muscle growth, and maintaining a healthy immune system. If you use fried cod in this recipe, you will get a sufficient amount of high-quality protein.
In summary, braised chicory with fried cod is a dish that not only satisfies the palate but also offers numerous health benefits. From vitamins and minerals to antioxidants and proteins, this recipe is a nutritious addition to any diet.