Take a culinary journey to southern Africa with our delicious boerie roll recipe. Known for its rich flavor, this meaty beef hot dog is a must-try. With a unique coarse texture reminiscent of a burger, this sausage-shaped delicacy offers an unparalleled taste.
Treat yourself to the delicious combination of perfectly seasoned ground beef carefully wrapped in a soft bun. Whether you’re grilling outside or enjoying a cozy meal indoors, our boerie roll will tantalize your taste buds and keep you coming back for more. Don’t miss out on this iconic South African treat!
- 500g Boerewors sausage
- 6 brioche hot dog buns
- American mustard for serving (optional)
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 300g white onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp garlic puree
- 5g thyme, leaves picked
- 2 bay leaves
- 50g powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp malt vinegar
- 100 ml lager beer
- 100 ml tomato ketchup
- 50 ml malt vinegar
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 100g smooth tomato and chilli chutney
- ½ large red onion, thinly sliced
- 200g red wine vinegar
- 100g powdered sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- To pickle the onions:
- Place the onions in a small, non-reactive bowl.
- Pour vinegar into a separate pot and stir in sugar and bay leaf.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Pour the boiling liquid over the onions.
- Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour and 30 minutes or overnight.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, thyme and bay leaves to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and caramelized, 5-8 minutes.
- Add sugar and vinegar to the pot and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the lager and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has a sticky, caramelized consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper, then remove from heat and transfer to a container. Refrigerate until needed.
Boerie Roll Recipe
Equipment and tools
List of equipment and tools needed for this recipe:
- Grill or grill
- frying pan
- Spatula or tongs
- cutting board
This recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Wheat (buns)
- Soy (ketchup, Worcestershire sauce)
- Mustard (American mustard)
Storage and leftovers
Here are some tips for storing and dealing with leftovers:
- If you have leftover boerewors sausage, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Store the brioche hot dog buns in a paper bag or bread bin to keep them fresh for a few days.
- The tomato chili chutney can be stored in a sterilized jar in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- If you have leftover cooked boerewors sausage, you can use it in salads, sandwiches, or as a topping for pizza.
The Health Benefits of Boerie Roll
The Health Benefits of Boerie Roll
Boerie Roll, a popular South African street food, is not only delicious but also has several health benefits. Packed with essential nutrients, this tasty dish can be enjoyed guilt-free. Let’s explore the health benefits of Boerie Roll and how its ingredients contribute to a balanced diet.
Boerie Roll is made primarily from Boerewors sausage, a traditional South African sausage. Boerewors consists of high quality meat mixed with various spices and herbs. It is a good source of protein, essential for muscle growth and repair. In addition, Boerewors contains important vitamins and minerals such as iron, zinc and vitamin B12.
Brioche hot dog buns
Boerie Roll is served on brioche hot dog buns made from enriched dough. These rolls are light and fluffy and provide a perfect base for the aromatic sausage. Brioche buns are a source of carbohydrates that provide energy to the body. They also contain small amounts of protein, fiber and essential minerals such as iron and selenium.
American mustard (optional)
Serving Boerie Roll with American mustard is optional and adds a spicy and savory flavor to the dish. Mustard seeds, the main ingredient in mustard spices, are rich in antioxidants. They also contain compounds with known anti-inflammatory properties. However, due to its high sodium content, it is important to consume mustard in moderation.
Chakalaka relish is typically served with boerie roll and consists of a combination of onions, tomatoes, peppers and various spices. This relish is rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber. It provides a good amount of vitamin C, which is important for immune function and collagen production. The antioxidants in tomatoes and peppers also contribute to overall health.
Boerie Roll is a delicious South African street food that offers a number of health benefits. From the protein-rich boerewors sausage to the fiber-rich chakalaka relish, each ingredient adds a nutritious touch to this dish. So the next time you treat yourself to a boerie roll, you can not only enjoy the delicious taste, but also the positive effect it can have on your well-being.