Treat yourself to the extraordinary flavors of our tempting blue cheese pasta recipe! This dish is a true culinary delight and is perfect for using up your favorite Christmas foods. Delicious blue cheese combined with creamy pasta creates a harmonious blend of rich and spicy flavors that is simply irresistible. Whether you want a cozy family meal or an impressive meal for guests, this recipe ticks all the boxes. This is the ideal way to make the most of post-holiday ingredients and ensure a delicious and fulfilling dining experience that will leave everyone wanting more.
- 400g penne pasta
- 25g butter
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped sage or 1 tsp dried
- 100g Stilton, diced
- a handful of toasted walnuts, chopped
Pasta with bacon
& Cranberry Wensleydale.
Follow the recipe above with a thin layer
This time sliced red onion. Fry the onion
with 2 slices of chopped bacon in it
melted butter. Stir in 100 g chopped
instead Cranberry Wensleydale at the end
of the Stilton. Serve with the toast
Sprinkle walnuts on top.Other cheeses
If Stilton is too strong for your taste, try or swap out a milder blue cheese like Dolcelatte
For some, half the Stilton in the recipe
creamy, mild mascarpone.
- Cook pasta: Start by cooking the pasta according to the package directions.
- Melt the butter: In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat until completely melted and bubbling.
- Fry onion: Once the butter has melted, add the onion to the pot and cook until it turns golden brown.
- Add garlic and sage: After sautéing the onion, add the garlic and sage to the pot. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat: Remove the pot from the heat and set it aside.
- Drain the pasta: Once the pasta is cooked, drain it, but remember to reserve some of the cooking water.
- Mix pasta and onions: Stir the drained pasta into the buttered onions in the pot.
- Add Stilton and cooking water: Add the Stilton cheese and 2 tablespoons of the reserved cooking water to the pasta mixture. Mix well to combine all ingredients.
- Serve with toasted walnuts: Before serving, sprinkle the pasta with toasted walnuts to add crunch and flavor.
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- A large pot for cooking the pasta
- A frying pan
- A sharp knife for cutting the onion
- A garlic press or knife to mince the garlic
- A cutting board
- One tablespoon for measuring the chopped sage
- A grater for grating the Stilton
- A handful of toasted walnuts, chopped
The blue cheese pasta recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (Stilton and butter)
- Nuts (walnuts)
Please ensure that none of these allergens pose a danger to you or anyone else who consumes the dish. If you or your guests suffer from allergies or dietary restrictions, consider suitable substitutions or omitting certain ingredients.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When reheating, you can add a splash of milk or cream to freshen the sauce. However, note that reheated pasta may become slightly softer. Enjoy the dish within the recommended storage time for the best taste and quality.
The Health Benefits of Blue Cheese Pasta
Blue cheese pasta is not only a delicious dish but also offers several health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at the ingredients and their potential benefits:
Penne pasta is a tube-shaped pasta often made from refined grains. Although refined grains are not as nutritious as whole grains, penne pasta can still be a good source of energy and, when consumed in moderation, can be part of a balanced diet.
Butter is a rich source of saturated fats, which can increase cholesterol levels if consumed in excess. However, when used in small amounts, butter can add flavor and texture to dishes without significantly compromising overall health.
Onions are low in calories and full of nutrients. They are a good source of fiber, vitamin C and various antioxidants. Onions may have anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and potentially anti-cancer properties.
Garlic is known for its strong aroma and flavor, but it also offers several health benefits. It has been used for centuries due to its potential anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and immune-boosting properties. Garlic can also help lower cholesterol and lower blood pressure.
Sage is an herb that adds a special flavor to dishes. It is traditionally used for its medicinal properties, including improving digestion, improving memory and supporting oral health.
Blue cheese (Stilton)
Blue cheese like Stilton is made from cow’s milk and is characterized by its blue or green veins. It is a good source of protein and calcium and provides important nutrients for bone health. Blue cheese also contains beneficial bacteria that can promote a healthy gut microbiome.
Walnuts are a nutritious nut full of healthy fats, proteins, fiber, and various vitamins and minerals. They are known for their high content of omega-3 fatty acids, which play an important role in brain health and may help reduce the risk of heart disease.
Other cheese options
If Stilton is too strong for your taste, there are alternative options for the blue cheese component of the recipe. You can use Dolcelatte, another milder blue cheese, or mix half of the Stilton with some creamy and mild mascarpone for a different flavor profile.
Next time you indulge in a plate of blue cheese pasta, enjoy the delicious flavors and know that they offer some health benefits too. Remember to enjoy it as part of a balanced diet and feel free to experiment with different variations depending on your taste.