Discover a delicious twist on traditional sweet potato mash with our Blackened Sweet Potato Mash recipe. These delicious sweet potatoes are taken to a whole new level by adding a hint of smoky flavor to their skin. The result is a dish that is both unique and irresistible. To enhance the flavor even further, we sprinkled some fresh scallions on top and finished it off with a refreshing squeeze of lime. This delicious flavor combination creates a perfect balance that will have you coming back for seconds. Get ready to impress your friends and family at your next BBQ!
- 1kg sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Juice 1 lime, plus 1 lime cut into 4 wedges for serving
- 4 spring onions, sliced diagonally
- extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Prick the sweet potatoes with a fork.
- Place each sweet potato on a piece of foil.
- Drizzle some oil over the sweet potatoes.
- Season the sweet potatoes with salt and pepper.
- Wrap each sweet potato tightly in the foil.
- If you have smaller potatoes, wrap them together to ensure even cooking.
- Carefully place the wrapped sweet potatoes directly onto the coals of a hot grill.
- Cook the sweet potatoes until partially blackened and completely soft inside, 35-40 minutes.
- To test if the sweet potatoes are done, insert a skewer through the foil into the center of the potato. It should go in easily.
- Alternatively, you can preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Place the sweet potatoes on the top rack of the oven and roast for 45 minutes.
- After roasting, heat the grill to the highest setting.
- Place the sweet potatoes under the broiler for 5 minutes, turning halfway through, until lightly charred.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooked, transfer them to a large platter.
- Lightly mash the sweet potatoes and their skins with a fork.
- Drizzle lime juice and a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil over the sweet potato puree.
- Season the sweet potatoes with salt and pepper.
- Scatter spring onions over the sweet potato puree.
- Serve the blackened sweet potato mash with lime wedges on the side.
Equipment and tools
To prepare this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Sharp knife
- Big pot
- Potato masher or fork
This blackened mashed sweet potato recipe does not contain common allergens like nuts, dairy, or gluten. However, please note that there may be allergens present in the brands you use or variations of ingredients you use.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover blackened mashed sweet potatoes, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Before serving, reheat the porridge in the microwave or on the stove. For the best taste and texture, it is recommended to consume leftovers within the recommended time frame.
The Health Benefits of Blackened Mashed Sweet Potatoes
When it comes to improving your overall health and well-being, incorporating nutritious and delicious foods into your diet is crucial. One such food that is not only packed with essential vitamins and minerals but is also bursting with flavor is blackened mashed sweet potatoes. Not only is this heavenly side dish a treat for your taste buds, but it also offers numerous health benefits that make it a great addition to any meal.
1. Rich in vitamins and minerals
Sweet potatoes, the main ingredient in blackened mashed sweet potatoes, are a nutritional powerhouse. They are a rich source of vitamins A, C and E, antioxidants that protect your cells from free radical damage. In addition, sweet potatoes are rich in minerals such as potassium, iron and manganese, which are essential for maintaining optimal body functions.
2. Excellent source of fiber
Fiber is an important part of a healthy diet and sweet potatoes are an excellent source of this nutrient. A 1kg serving of sweet potatoes in blackened sweet potato mash provides a good amount of fiber, which promotes healthy digestion, prevents constipation and helps with weight control.
3. Supports heart health
Consuming blackened mashed sweet potatoes may have positive effects on cardiovascular health. Sweet potatoes are considered heart-friendly due to their high potassium content. Potassium helps regulate blood pressure and reduces the risk of heart disease and stroke. Additionally, using olive oil in this recipe enhances its heart-healthy benefits by providing good fats that promote a healthy lipid profile.
4. Strengthens the immune system
Blackened mashed sweet potatoes are a wonderful way to boost the immune system and prevent illness. The abundant vitamin C content in sweet potatoes stimulates the production of white blood cells, which are crucial in fighting off infections and diseases. Additionally, the lime juice used in this recipe adds an extra dose of vitamin C, further boosting its immune-boosting properties.
5. Anti-inflammatory properties
Chronic inflammation is linked to a number of health problems, including heart disease, diabetes and certain cancers. Including blackened mashed sweet potatoes in your diet can help reduce inflammation. Sweet potatoes contain antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds that help neutralize free radicals and lower inflammation in the body.
Overall, blackened sweet potato mash is a delicious and nutritious dish that offers a number of health benefits. From promoting heart health to boosting your immune system to providing essential nutrients, this recipe is a must-try for your taste buds and well-being.