“Introducing our delicious blackberry marshmallows recipe, put together with love by Good Food reader Natasha Lee. These fluffy treats get a seasonal upgrade with the addition of delicious blackberries, resulting in a truly exceptional treat. An irresistible combination of sweetness and fruitiness, these marshmallows are perfect for surprising your loved ones with a delicious homemade gift. Treat yourself to the velvety texture and divine taste of these homemade wonders that will melt in your mouth and leave you wanting more. Expand your marshmallow experience with this elegant twist that showcases the best of nature’s bounty.”
- 50g powdered sugar
- 50g cornstarch
- 9 sheets of gelatin
- 450g granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp liquid glucose (found on the baking shelf)
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 140g blackberries
- Mix the powdered sugar with the cornstarch in a bowl and set aside.
- Dissolve the gelatine in 150 ml of hot water in a heatproof container.
- Line a 20 x 30 cm tin with baking paper and dust with some powdered sugar mixture.
- Place the granulated sugar and liquid glucose in a heavy-bottomed saucepan with 200 ml of water.
- Cook over low heat until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Increase the heat and cook until the mixture reaches a firm ball on a candy thermometer (125°C/256°F) – about 10-15 minutes.
- If you don’t have a thermometer, put some of the mixture in a glass of very cold water – if it forms a slippery ball, it’s ready.
- While the sugar is cooking, beat the egg whites with an electric whisk until stiff.
- When the syrup has reached the right stage, pour it into the jug with the gelatin water.
- Be careful as it is very hot and may form bubbles.
- Continue whisking the egg whites while pouring the syrup over them in a steady stream.
- Add the vanilla extract and the mixture will become glossy and begin to thicken.
- Continue stirring until the mixture is very stiff, about 10 minutes.
- Pour half of the egg white mixture into the mold.
- Scatter the berries over the mixture.
- Top with remaining mixture and leave in a cool, dry place until solid, at least 2 hours.
- Place a large sheet of parchment paper on a cutting board.
- Sprinkle the remaining powdered sugar mixture onto the parchment.
- Remove the marshmallows, cut them into squares and roll them in the sugar mixture.
- Store in an airtight container but best consumed the same day.
Equipment and tools
- Large mixing bowl
- Small pot
- parchment paper
- cutting board
This recipe contains eggs and may contain traces of gluten.
Storage and leftovers
Store the blackberry marshmallows in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. They can also be frozen for longer storage. To freeze, place the marshmallows in a freezer-safe container with layers of parchment paper in between to prevent sticking. Allow to thaw in the refrigerator before eating.
Health Benefits of Blackberry Marshmallows
Blackberry marshmallows are not only delicious treats, but they also offer numerous health benefits. Made with natural blackberries and minimal added sugar, these marshmallows can be a guilt-free treat. Let’s explore some of the health benefits these delicious sweets offer:
1. Rich in antioxidants
Blackberries, the main ingredient in blackberry marshmallows, are full of antioxidants. These powerful compounds help protect the body from harmful free radicals and reduce the risk of chronic diseases, including cancer and heart disease. By incorporating blackberries into marshmallows, you can enjoy a tasty treat while boosting your antioxidant intake.
2. Vitamins and minerals
Blackberries are a great source of important vitamins and minerals. They are particularly rich in vitamin C, which supports a healthy immune system and promotes collagen production for skin health. Additionally, blackberries contain vitamin K, which helps blood clotting, and manganese, an important mineral for bone health.
3. Digestive health
The fiber content in blackberries contributes to improved digestion. A serving of blackberry marshmallows can provide a small but valuable amount of fiber, which helps prevent constipation and maintain a healthy digestive system.
4. Little fat
Compared to traditional marshmallows, blackberry marshmallows contain significantly less fat. By using egg whites and minimal added sugar, these marshmallows offer a lighter alternative while still offering a satisfying texture and taste.
5. Natural ingredients
Blackberry Marshmallows are made with natural ingredients including fresh blackberries and real vanilla extract. By eliminating artificial flavors and preservatives commonly found in store-bought marshmallows, you can enjoy a treat that’s free of unnecessary additives.
Overall, blackberry marshmallows offer a delicious combination of flavor and health benefits. Whether enjoyed on their own or used in various recipes, these marshmallows are a guilt-free treat that everyone can enjoy. So treat yourself to some delicious blackberry marshmallows!