A delicious and moist blackberry and apple cake that beautifully showcases the best of seasonal produce. This tempting fruit sponge is infused with the delicious flavors of almond and cinnamon, creating a delicious symphony of flavors. Packed with juicy blackberries and juicy apples, every bite is a delicious explosion of fruity goodness. With its delicate texture and irresistible aroma, this cake is a real treat for the senses. Treat yourself to a piece of this heavenly creation and enjoy the perfect balance of sweetness and spice. A delicious dessert that will leave you wanting more!
- 125g butter, softened, plus some butter for the tin
- 125g powdered sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 50g ground almonds
- 100g self-raising flour
- 2 Discovery, Russet or Worcester apples, peeled and cored, each cut into 12 segments
- 100g blackberries
- 1 large pinch of cinnamon
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
- 25 g butter, cut into small flakes
- 25 g peeled and roasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/140°C fan/gas 3.
- Grease a round loose-bottomed cake tin (22 cm) and line the bottom with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. If the mixture curdles, add some flour.
- Fold in the remaining egg, the ground almonds and the flour and mix everything carefully.
- Add two thirds of the apples and all the blackberries to the cake mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared form and smooth it out.
- Spread the remaining apples over the surface of the cake.
- For the topping, sprinkle cinnamon, Demerara sugar and butter over the cake.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and sprinkle the roasted hazelnuts over it.
- Allow the cake to cool before dusting it lightly with powdered sugar.
- Serve the cake in slices.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- Electric mixer or wooden spoon
- Springform pan for cakes
- baking paper
- Cooking spray or additional butter for greasing the pan
- cutting board
- measuring spoon
- measuring cup
- Oven gloves
- Cooling rack
- Sieve (optional, for dusting with powdered sugar)
This Blackberry Apple Cake contains the following potential allergens:
- Butter (contains dairy products)
- Ground almonds (contains nuts)
- Flour (gluten)
- Hazelnuts (contains nuts)
Please double check the ingredients if you have any food allergies or intolerances.
Storage and leftovers
Once cooled, store any leftovers of this Blackberry Apple Cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
If desired, you can also store the cake in the refrigerator for a longer shelf life. Be sure to wrap it well or store it in a sealed container to prevent it from drying out.
The cake can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Cut into portions and wrap tightly in plastic wrap or place in a freezer-safe container.
Before serving leftover cake, you can warm it gently in the oven or microwave for a few seconds, or enjoy it chilled.
Health Benefits of Blackberry and Apple Pie
Enjoying a delicious piece of blackberry apple pie not only satisfies your taste buds but can also provide various health benefits. Packed with nutritious ingredients, this delicious cake allows you to enjoy a treat without compromising on your well-being.
1. Rich in antioxidants
Blackberries, one of the main ingredients in this cake, are full of antioxidants. These compounds help protect your body from harmful free radicals, which are responsible for cell damage and aging. Antioxidants also support your immune system and can reduce the risk of chronic disease.
2. Rich in vitamins and minerals
Both blackberries and apples provide important vitamins and minerals that contribute to overall health. Blackberries are an excellent source of vitamin C and promote a healthy immune system and collagen production for skin health. Apples contain fiber, potassium and vitamin K, all of which have positive effects on heart health and digestion.
3. Good source of healthy fats and proteins
The addition of ground almonds in this cake provides a dose of healthy fats and proteins. Almonds are a great source of monounsaturated fats, which can help lower bad cholesterol levels. They also provide a good amount of plant-based protein, making this cake a more filling and nutritious treat.
4. Fiber for healthy digestion
The combination of apples, blackberries and ground almonds contribute to the fiber content of the cake. Fiber is essential for maintaining a healthy digestive system, preventing constipation and promoting regular bowel movements.
5. Alternative with fewer calories
This blackberry apple cake uses less butter and sugar compared to traditional cake recipes. By reducing the amount of these ingredients, the cake becomes a lower calorie option but still retains its delicious taste. This can be beneficial for those who are watching their calorie intake or trying to control their weight.
So next time you treat yourself to a slice of blackberry apple pie, enjoy not only the delicious taste but also the potential health benefits it offers. Remember: Moderation is the key to enjoying sweet treats while maintaining a balanced diet.