This easy all-in-one cake is made with yogurt for a light texture. Treat yourself to the tempting combination of bitter orange and poppy seeds, which creates a wonderful explosion of flavor. The fragrant scent of this cake will fill your kitchen as it bakes to perfection. Enjoy a slice of this moist and tender cake, perfect for any occasion. The ease of preparation means you can whip up this delicious treat in no time. Whether you’re entertaining guests or simply treating yourself, this bitter orange poppy seed cake is a guaranteed crowd pleaser.
- 3 tbsp good quality thick jam (we used Frank Cooper’s Thick Cut Oxford jam)
- 150g cup of organic natural yogurt
- 3 eggs
- 175g golden powdered sugar
- 200g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 175g butter, softened
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2 tsp poppy seeds, roasted
- Juice ½ orange
- 5 tbsp jam
Roasted poppy seeds
Roast poppy seeds in a dry pan for some time
Minutes really bring out their nutty taste.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan 140°C/gas 3.
- Butter a deep, medium-sized loaf tin (approx. 20 x 10 cm, measured from the top).
- Line the bottom of the pan with a rectangle of non-stick baking paper.
- Place the jam in a small pan and heat gently until melted, or use a microwave-safe pitcher or bowl and cook on high for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the yogurt and let cool for a few minutes.
- Place remaining cake ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix until smooth with an electric hand mixer.
- Quickly stir in the yogurt-jam mixture.
- Pour the dough into the prepared pan.
- Leave the dough mounded in the center of the pan rather than smoothing the top.
- Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes, until the dough is golden brown and well risen.
- Check the cake after 45 minutes and cover it loosely with baking paper if it has taken on a lot of color.
- Meanwhile, heat the orange juice and jam in a small saucepan over low heat until the jam melts, or use the microwave as before.
- Allow to cool, stirring occasionally until you have a thick but still runny glaze.
- When the cake is ready, let it cool in the tin for 10 minutes and then turn it out onto a wire rack.
- Pour the icing over the still warm cake.
- The cake is best served the day it is made, but will keep well wrapped in an airtight container for up to three days.
- Can be frozen unglazed for up to a month.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- Whisk or electric mixer
- baking tray
- Dry pan (for roasting poppy seeds)
This recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Gluten (from self-raising flour)
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers, store the cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Alternatively, you can store it in the fridge for up to 5 days.
This cake can also be frozen for up to 2 months. Be sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or place it in a sealed freezer bag before freezing. Thaw the cake in the refrigerator before serving.
Health Benefits of Bitter Orange and Poppy Seed Cake
When it comes to enjoying desserts, it is always beneficial to be able to enjoy something that offers health benefits in addition to its delicious taste. One such dessert that fits this description is the bitter orange poppy seed cake. This delicious treat not only satisfies your sweet tooth but also offers several health benefits due to its unique combination of ingredients.
1. Bitter orange
The main ingredient of this cake is bitter orange, which is known for its abundance of nutrients and health-promoting properties. Bitter oranges are a rich source of vitamin C, which supports a healthy immune system and helps protect against disease. They also contain antioxidants that can help reduce inflammation in the body and lower the risk of chronic diseases.
2. Poppy seeds
Poppy seeds not only add a delicious crunch to the cake but also contribute to its health benefits. These tiny black seeds are rich in essential minerals such as calcium, iron and zinc, which are vital for maintaining optimal bone health, blood circulation and immune function. In addition, poppy seeds are a good source of fiber, which aids digestion and promotes a healthy gut.
Another ingredient that increases the nutritional value of this cake is natural organic yogurt. Yogurt is packed with probiotics, beneficial bacteria that support a healthy gut microbiome. Regular consumption of probiotics can improve digestion, strengthen the immune system, and even increase mental well-being. The yogurt in this cake also moisturizes and makes it particularly soft and delicious.
4. Orange peel and juice
The recipe calls for both orange zest and orange juice, which not only add a refreshing citrus flavor but also provide a number of health benefits. Oranges are known for their high vitamin C content, which supports collagen production, boosts the immune system and promotes healthy skin. In addition, oranges contain fiber and antioxidants that contribute to overall well-being.
5. Reduced sugar and butter content
This recipe uses golden powdered sugar in moderate amounts, providing sweetness without excessive sugar consumption. By using less refined sugar, you can enjoy your cake while keeping your blood sugar levels under control. The softened butter adds richness and moisture to the cake, but it is important to consume it in moderation to ensure a balanced diet.
The bitter orange poppy seed cake not only pleases your taste buds but also offers numerous health benefits. From antioxidant-rich bitter orange to nutrient-dense poppy seeds, each ingredient contributes its own nutritional value to this delicious treat. So feel free to treat yourself to this delicious cake knowing that it is not only a filling dessert but also a source of various essential nutrients.