Welcome to our recipe page for delicious birthday cookies! These ring-shaped treats are an absolute hit at parties and add an extra touch of joy to any celebration. Not only do they taste fantastic, but they are also incredibly versatile, making them ideal for any occasion and theme. Plus, baking these cookies is a lot of fun, especially when the little ones help out. Let your creativity run wild by choosing different shapes and designs together. Get ready to enjoy these delicious treats that are guaranteed to put a smile on everyone’s face!
- 250g plain white flour
- 85g golden powdered sugar
- 175 g unsalted butter, room temperature, diced
- 2 tbsp lemon curd
- 250g white powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp strawberry jam (we used St. Dalfour)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
- Place flour, sugar and butter in a food processor. Beat until the mixture forms crumbs, then pulse some more until it forms a ball.
- Spread a large sheet of baking paper on the work surface and turn the dough onto it. Dust with a little flour and then roll out to about the thickness of two £1 coins.
- Using a 5cm round cutter, cut out 24 circles and then cut out the centers using the end of a piping tip.
- Gently peel the rest of the mixture away from the cut shapes.
- Transfer to baking sheets and bake for 10 minutes, until light golden.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Put the lemon curd in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of boiling water and stir until smooth.
- Sift in 175g powdered sugar; stir until a smooth glaze forms.
- Put the strawberry fruit spread in another bowl and add 2 teaspoons boiling water, stir and sift in the remaining powdered sugar.
- Pour the lemon icing over the cookies and drizzle or pipe it over the top.
- Let it set for at least 20 minutes.
- It will last up to 2 days in an airtight container, or longer without ice.
Equipment and tools
To make these delicious birthday cookies you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- Measurement scales
- wooden spoon
- cookie cutters
- parchment paper
- Cooling rack
- Spatula or spatula
- Piping bag with a small round nozzle
The birthday cookie recipe contains the following allergens:
- Wheat flour)
- Dairy products (butter)
Please note that this recipe may also come into contact with other allergens not listed above. It is always recommended to check product labels for the most accurate allergen information possible.
Storage and leftovers
Once the birthday cookies have completely cooled, you can store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
If there are any leftovers, you can freeze the cookies for longer storage. Place them in a freezer-safe container or bag and separate the layers with parchment paper. They can be frozen for up to 3 months. Allow the cookies to thaw at room temperature before serving.
The Health Benefits of Birthday Cookies
Birthday cookies are not only delicious treats, but they can also provide surprising health benefits. Although they may not be a replacement for nutritious meals, enjoying these homemade cookies on special occasions can bring a feeling of joy and happiness. Let’s explore some of the potential health benefits of the ingredients included in this recipe.
1. White flour
The main ingredient in birthday cookies is plain white flour. Although white flour is often criticized for being more processed than whole wheat flour, it still contains important nutrients. White flour is a source of energy and provides carbohydrates that our body needs as fuel.
2. Golden powdered sugar
Despite its reputation for being unhealthy, golden sugar can be a delicious addition in moderation. It improves the flavor and texture of the cookies. Remember that excessive sugar intake should generally be avoided, but the small amount in birthday cookies can be enjoyed as part of a balanced diet.
3. Unsalted butter
Unsalted butter is the main source of fat in this recipe. Although butter should be consumed in moderation, it provides some important nutrients such as vitamins A and E. The butter in birthday cookies provides richness and flavor.
4. Lemon curd
Lemon curd adds a tangy and refreshing taste to birthday cookies. Lemons are an excellent source of vitamin C, which can boost your immune system and promote skin health. In addition, lemons contain antioxidants that can have positive effects on overall health.
5. White powdered sugar
White powdered sugar is used to decorate the cookies. Although not particularly nutritious, it adds a visually appealing touch to these special treats. However, due to its high glycemic index, it is important to consume powdered sugar in moderation.
6. Strawberry preserves
Strawberry jam, like the one used in this recipe, can add a fruity flavor to the cookies. Strawberries are low in calories and rich in vitamins, fiber and antioxidants. They are also associated with various health benefits, such as improving heart health and reducing inflammation.
Overall, eating birthday cookies in moderation can contribute to a balanced and enjoyable diet. These treats make special occasions happy and can be shared with friends and family. Remember, it’s all about finding a balance between enjoyment and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.