Kids will absolutely love the adorable butterfly and ladybug decorations that adorn this whimsical bug birthday cake. With its bright color palette, this cake is an absolute hit at any celebration and will bring a smile and joy to the little ones’ faces. But it’s not just the little ones who will love this cake; Its simplicity will make you feel relaxed and stress-free while preparing it. So why wait? Get ready for a delicious baking adventure and create magical memories with this delicious and visually stunning masterpiece!
- Simple vanilla cake and syrup mix (see recipe below)
- 100g white chocolate (I used Milkybar)
- Easy Vanilla Buttercream Mix (see Easy Vanilla Cake recipe below)
- 12 giant chocolate buttons, 6 of which are halved
- Treat-sized chocolate buttons
- 2 chocolate bars (I used matchmakers)
- Hundreds and thousands
- multicolored candles
- red (or whatever color you like) icing tubes (I used Asda)
- multicolored candles
The decorated cake can be left loose
covered, in a cool, dry place (not in the refrigerator)
up to 24 hours before the party.
- Bake the Easy Vanilla Cake as in the basic recipe in a greased, deep 20 cm cake pan lined with baking paper; Drizzle with syrup and let cool. Leave the oven on.
- Break the white chocolate into cubes, place in a microwave-safe bowl and heat on high for 1 minute (or melt over a pot of simmering water). Stir and let the remaining lumps melt into the warm, liquid chocolate. Once the chocolate is still warm, fold it into the buttercream.
- Start the butterflies. Place the whole giant buttons on a flat baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper and then put them in the oven for 20-30 seconds until the chocolate is glossy. Remove, sprinkle with hundreds and thousands, then allow to set completely and then cut in half with a large non-serrated knife. To make the ladybugs, pipe icing onto the already cut out giant button halves and then set aside to dry.
- Spread the buttercream over the cake and then start arranging the butterflies. Cut each matchmaker into three parts – these will become the bodies. Press down on the cake and then glue four giant button halves around each body to form “wings.” For the ladybugs, place two spotted button halves together and then use a small button for the head. Sprinkle more hundreds of thousands over the cake and then insert the candles.
Equipment and tools
To make this Birthday Bug Cake you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowls
- Whisk or electric mixer
- 2 round cake tins (20 cm diameter)
- Cake cooling rack
- saw knife
- Piping bag
The Birthday Beetle Cake contains the following allergens:
- Milk (in a mixture of white chocolate and buttercream)
Please note that this cake may also contain traces of nuts and gluten.
Storage and leftovers
Once decorated, the Birthday Beetle Cake can be stored, loosely covered, in a cool, dry place (not the refrigerator) for up to 24 hours before the party. If there are any leftovers, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Health Benefits of Birthday Beetle Cake
Birthday Beetle Cake may be a delicious treat on special occasions, but did you know that it also offers some surprising health benefits? From the base ingredients to the decorative toppings, this cake can provide a range of nutrients that positively contribute to your well-being. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of this cake:
1. White chocolate
The Birthday Bug Cake contains 100g of white chocolate, which not only adds a delicious taste but also offers some potential health benefits. White chocolate is a good source of calcium, which is essential for maintaining strong bones and teeth. It also contains a small amount of antioxidants that can help protect your cells from damage caused by harmful free radicals.
The cake is infused with vanilla flavoring, which not only enhances the taste but also offers potential health benefits. Vanilla extract has been found to have anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce inflammation in the body. Additionally, vanilla is associated with mood-enhancing effects, potentially promoting feelings of relaxation and happiness.
3. Buttercream Frosting
The basic vanilla buttercream used to top the Birthday Bug Cake adds a touch of indulgence and offers some surprising health benefits. Buttercream is made from butter, which is a good source of healthy fats. These fats play a crucial role in nutrient absorption, hormone production, and maintaining healthy brain function.
4. Dark chocolate buttons
The cake is decorated with dark chocolate chips, which not only makes it visually appealing but also has some health benefits. Dark chocolate is rich in antioxidants, particularly flavonoids, which are thought to have various health benefits. Eating dark chocolate in moderation can promote heart health, improve brain function and even help reduce the risk of certain chronic diseases.
5. Colorful sprinkles and candles
The bright and colorful sprinkles and candles used to decorate the birthday bug cake not only add a festive touch but also provide some health benefits. Studies have shown that attending celebrations and enjoying sweet treats in moderation can have a positive impact on mental well-being. These small moments of joy and celebration can help reduce stress and increase overall happiness.
While the Birthday Beetle Cake is undoubtedly a delightful treat, it’s interesting to discover that it can offer more than just a tempting taste. By incorporating various ingredients and decorative elements, this cake brings both joy and potential health benefits to any celebration. So why not treat yourself to a piece of this on your special day?