Crispy pastries, sweet raspberries and a nutty frangipane filling blend harmoniously into our delicious Berry Almond Bakewell. Perfect for a dinner party dessert or a weekend treat that is sure to delight your taste buds. The best part? No one would ever suspect that this delicious treat contains surprisingly little sugar. Tangy raspberries and a heavenly nuttiness take center stage in this irresistible dessert, satisfying both your cravings and your health-conscious attitude. Treat yourself to this irresistibly delicious masterpiece without feeling guilty!
- Cut 400 g shortcrust pastry from a 500 g block
- 100g freshly thawed frozen raspberries
- 25g almond flakes
- 75g self-raising flour, plus a little more for dusting
- 75g ground almonds
- 150 g Total Sweet (xylitol)
- 150 g soft butter
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 3 large eggs
- Roll out the dough thinly on a lightly floured surface.
- Line the bottom and sides of a 10-inch loose-bottomed nonstick tart pan with the dough.
- Leave a small dough overhang, but trim off any noticeable excess.
- Prick the base with a fork and chill for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6 and place a baking tray in to heat up.
- Line the dough base with baking paper.
- Fill the box with baking beans and cook on the hot tray for 10 minutes.
- The blast of heat from the baking sheet prevents the bottom from becoming soggy.
- Carefully lift off the paper with the beans and bake for another 3 minutes to cook the pastry base.
- Turn the oven down to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- For the frangipane, place all the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Beat with an electric whisk until well combined or puree in a food processor.
- Scatter the raspberries into the dough base.
- Pour the almond mixture over the raspberries and smooth the top with a knife.
- Scatter the flaked almonds on top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and firm.
- Carefully trim any excess dough from the edge of the cake with a sharp knife.
- Serve and enjoy!
Equipment and tools
- rolling pin
- Pastry brush
- 9-inch tart pan
- baking paper
- Baking beans or cake weights
- Cooling rack
This Berry Almond Bakewell recipe contains the following allergens:
Please make sure these allergens are safe for consumption before making this recipe.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover Berry Almond Bakewell, you can store it in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. Alternatively, you can store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Allow refrigerated leftovers to come to room temperature before serving or gently reheat in the oven to restore freshness.
Health Benefits of Berry Almond Bakewell
The Berry Almond Bakewell is a delicious dessert that not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers several health benefits. Packed with nutritious ingredients, this recipe allows you to indulge without feeling guilty. Let’s take a closer look at some of the health benefits:
Raspberries are the main ingredient in this Berry Almond Bakewell recipe. These vibrant fruits are full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. They are a great source of vitamin C, offer immune-boosting properties and protect the body from oxidative stress. Additionally, raspberries are low in calories and high in fiber, which promotes healthy digestion and helps with weight control.
This Bakewell recipe contains slivered almonds and ground almonds, which provide a crunchy texture and a nutty taste. Almonds are packed with heart-healthy monounsaturated fats that can help lower bad cholesterol. They are also an excellent source of vitamin E, an antioxidant that supports skin health and protects against cell damage. Almonds are rich in fiber and protein, make you feel full and regulate blood sugar levels.
Total Sweet, a brand of xylitol, is used as a sweetener in place of granulated sugar in this recipe. Xylitol is a natural sugar substitute derived from plants. Compared to regular sugar, it has fewer calories and a lower glycemic index, making it a suitable option for those who control their sugar intake. Xylitol has also been shown to have potential dental health benefits by reducing the risk of tooth decay and tooth decay.
4. Self-raising flour
This recipe contains self-raising flour, which gives the Berry Almond Bakewell a light and fluffy consistency. Although self-raising flour is not particularly rich in nutrients, depending on the brand, it can be fortified with additional vitamins and minerals. Additionally, using self-raising flour allows for easier and faster baking without the need for separate baking powder.
Using eggs in this recipe adds to the structure and binding of the bakewell. Eggs are an excellent source of high-quality protein and provide essential amino acids that our bodies need for growth and repair. They are also rich in vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B12, selenium and choline, which support brain function and promote overall health.
Overall, the Berry Almond Bakewell not only satisfies your sweet tooth but also offers a number of health benefits. From antioxidant-rich raspberries to heart-healthy almonds and natural sweetener, this dessert lets you enjoy a delicious treat while nourishing your body with nutrient-dense ingredients.