This gluten and dairy free Beef Swedish Casserole is the ultimate comfort food, perfect for cozy evenings. It’s full of flavors and consists of tender cuts of beef complemented by hearty vegetables. The dish is not only delicious but also easy to prepare, making for a stress-free cooking experience. Served alongside seasonal vegetables, this casserole makes a nutritious and healthy meal that will leave you satisfied and satisfied. Treat yourself to this heartwarming dish that will warm your soul and tantalize your taste buds.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- ½ celery stalk, sliced
- 500 g diced braised beef
- 200 ml red wine (optional)
- 700 ml beef broth (or chicken broth)
- 500 g turnips, peeled and cut into large cubes
- 300 g floury potatoes (e.g. Maris Piper), diced
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- green vegetables for serving (optional)
- Heat the oil in an ovenproof baking dish over medium-high heat.
- Sauté onions and celery for a few minutes until browned.
- Add the beef and brown all over for 3-4 minutes.
- If necessary, add wine and let it reduce by half.
- Add the broth and add the beets, potatoes, thyme and bay leaf.
- Season and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover with a lid and let rest for 1 hour.
- If you want to reduce the liquid a little, remove the lid, increase the heat and cook for another 10-15 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Season to taste and remove thyme sprigs and bay leaf.
- Serve with some green vegetables if desired.
Equipment and tools
To make this beef Swedish casserole you will need the following equipment and tools:
- A large, ovenproof casserole dish with a lid
- A sharp knife for cutting onions and celery
- A cutting board
- A measuring cup
- A wooden spoon or spatula for stirring
This Beef Swedish Casserole may contain allergens. Please note the following:
- This recipe contains celery.
- When using the optional red wine, please note that it may contain sulfites.
- Make sure the beef broth you use is free of allergens.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers from this beef and beet casserole, follow these storage guidelines:
- Allow the casserole to cool completely before storing.
- Transfer the leftovers to an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat leftovers, simply heat them in the microwave or on the stove until warmed through.
Health Benefits of Beef Swedish Casserole
The Beef & Swede Casserole is not only a comforting and delicious dish, but also offers numerous health benefits. Packed with nutritious ingredients, this hearty casserole provides a well-rounded meal that provides your body with essential vitamins, minerals and proteins. Let’s explore some of the health benefits associated with this tasty dish:
1. Protein source
Beef is an excellent source of protein that is essential for the growth, development and repair of cells and tissues in your body. The diced braised meat used in this recipe provides a significant amount of high-quality protein, which supports muscle strength and helps maintain a healthy body weight.
2. Vitamin-rich Swede
Turnips, also known as turnips, are a root vegetable rich in vitamins and minerals. The coarsely diced turnips in this casserole provide a sweet and earthy flavor while providing a good amount of vitamin C, which boosts your immune system, supports collagen production, and helps with iron absorption.
3. Nutrient-rich potatoes
The floury potatoes used in this casserole not only improve the texture but also add to its nutritional value. Potatoes are a great source of vitamins C and B6, potassium, fiber and antioxidants. They provide energy, aid digestion, support brain function and help maintain healthy blood pressure.
4. Aromatic herbs
The addition of thyme and bay leaf not only provides a wonderful aroma but also offers health benefits. Thyme is known for its antioxidant and antibacterial properties, while bay leaves contain important compounds that promote digestive health and help manage diabetes.
5. Optional green vegetables
It is highly recommended to include green vegetables in your beef Swedish casserole. Green vegetables such as broccoli, peas or Brussels sprouts not only provide color and freshness, but also provide important vitamins, minerals and fiber, increasing the overall nutritional value of the dish.
By incorporating this beef Swedish casserole into your diet, you can enjoy a healthy and nutritious meal that will satisfy your taste buds while providing essential nutrients for your well-being. Whether for a family dinner or a gathering with friends, this recipe is the perfect choice for both taste and health.