This hearty beef, ale and parsnip pudding recipe is a classic and perfect for anyone who enjoys a hearty and filling meal. Wrapped in suet pastry, this traditional steak and ale cake offers an irresistible flavor combination. The filling can be made in advance so the flavors meld overnight and are steamed ready for a delicious Sunday dinner the next day. Please note that this recipe contains pork and is intended for non-Muslims only.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 100 g smoked bacon bacon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 500 g lean braised meat, diced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 3 parsnips, diced
- 500 ml brown beer
- 300 ml beef broth
- 2 tbsp cranberry or currant jelly
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- Vegetables for serving (optional)
- Butter for greasing
- 300g self-raising flour, plus some flour for dusting
- 2 tsp English mustard powder
- 140 g crushed tallow
- Heat a large pan and fry the onions and bacon for 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Scoop out the onions and bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the oil to the pan and dust the beef with flour.
- Brown the beef evenly over high heat.
- Add the mixture of parsnips, ale, stock, jelly, thyme and bacon to the pan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover and simmer for 1½ hours, until the meat is tender.
- Generously butter a 1.5 liter pudding tin.
- Mix the flour, mustard powder, tallow and ½ teaspoon table salt into a dough.
- Add enough cold water (approx. 150 ml) to form a soft dough.
- Take out a quarter of the dough and set it aside.
- On a heavily floured surface, roll out the remaining dough into a large round, large enough to line the bowl.
- Carefully place the dough in the bowl, making sure that 1cm of dough extends over the edge.
- Pinch the edges of the dough together to seal it.
- Roll out the remaining quarter of the dough into a circle large enough to cover the top of the basin.
- Pour the cooking liquid from the filling into a small saucepan and set aside.
- Remove the thyme stems from the filling.
- Place the filling in the baking paper-lined bowl and pour 100 ml of the cooking liquid over it.
- Fold the excess dough over and brush with water.
- Place the dough lid on the bowl and press firmly around the edges to seal.
- Butter a sheet of baking paper and fold it into a large fold.
- Place the buttered baking paper on top of the pudding, butter side down.
- Cover the pudding with a folded layer of foil and tie with string, creating a loop for the handle.
- Place a small trivet or large cookie cutter in the bottom of a deep pot large enough to hold the bowl.
- Fill the pot halfway with water and bring it to a boil.
- Add the pudding to the pot, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Top up with boiling water if necessary.
- Reheat the cooking liquid and reduce it to a delicious sauce.
- Carefully lift out the pudding and run a knife around the edge.
- Turn out the pudding and serve with sauce and vegetables if desired.
Equipment and tools
To make this Beef, Ale and Parsnip Pudding recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- frying pan
- Big pot
- wooden spoon
- Pudding bowl or bowl
- Steamer or large pot
- mixing bowl
- rolling pin
- parchment paper
This Beef, Ale and Parsnip Pudding recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Smoked Bacon Bacon
- beef broth
- Self-raising flour
- English mustard powder
Please check ingredient labels for possible allergens or cross-contamination. If you suffer from allergies or dietary restrictions, you should exercise caution when consuming this dish.
Storage and leftovers
Once cooked, you can store any leftovers of this Beef, Ale and Parsnip Pudding in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, steam or microwave until heated through.
Health Benefits of Beef, Ale and Parsnip Pudding
Beef Ale Parsnip Pudding is a delicious dish that not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers several health benefits. This savory pudding combines the richness of beef, the bold flavors of ale and the nutritional value of parsnips. Let’s take a closer look at some of the health benefits this recipe offers:
1. High quality protein
Lean braised meat is the main ingredient in this pudding and provides a significant amount of high-quality protein. Protein is essential for muscle growth, repair and maintenance. It also helps produce enzymes and hormones, supports a healthy immune system, and promotes satiety, so you feel fuller for longer.
2. Nutritious parsnips
Parsnips, a root vegetable included in this recipe, are packed with essential nutrients. They are an excellent source of fiber, which promotes a healthy digestive system, prevents constipation and helps with weight control. Parsnips also contain vitamin C, vitamin K, folic acid and several minerals such as potassium, manganese and magnesium.
3. Antioxidant-rich ale
The brown beer used in this recipe not only gives the dish a rich flavor but also contributes antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect your body from harmful free radicals and reduce oxidative stress, potentially preventing chronic diseases such as heart disease, certain cancers and cognitive decline.
4. Cranberry or currant jelly
Cranberry or currant jelly not only adds a touch of sweetness to this pudding, but also provides health benefits. These fruits are rich in antioxidants and are known for their potential to prevent urinary tract infections and support bladder health. They may also have anti-inflammatory properties.
5. Self-raising flour
The self-raising flour used in the pudding provides a lighter texture while providing some important nutrients. It contains iron, which supports the production of red blood cells and aids in the transport of oxygen in the body. Additionally, depending on the brand, self-raising flour may contain calcium and other minerals.
6. English mustard powder
The addition of English mustard powder not only adds a gentle spiciness to the dish, but also offers potential health benefits. Mustard powder contains compounds called glucosinolates, which have been shown to have antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties. It can also aid digestion and improve metabolism.
Overall, this Beef, Ale and Parsnip Pudding recipe allows you to enjoy a delicious meal while providing your body with valuable nutrients. It combines protein, fiber, antioxidants, and various vitamins and minerals that support overall health and well-being.
Remember to consume this dish in moderation and adjust according to your dietary needs and preferences.