A good chicken recipe for aspiring Jamie Olivers to get started. Learn how to make a delicious BBQ marinade that will transform your chicken into a flavorful treat. This recipe walks you through the process of marinating the chicken in the perfect blend of spices and sauces, resulting in juicy and tender meat. Paired with a refreshing and flavorful slaw, this BBQ chicken dish is a crowd pleaser. Impress your friends and family with your cooking skills and don’t forget to try the marinade with other types of meat to enhance their flavor.
- 3 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 8 chicken drumsticks, preferably organic
- ¼ white cabbage
- 1 small red onion
- 1 celery stick
- 1 red-skinned apple
- 1 large carrot
- 2 heaped tablespoons of mayonnaise
- heaped tablespoon of Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp whole grain mustard
Make sure the chicken is cooked
Take a sharp knife (it is important to wash it when
They used it for the raw chicken) and cut it into pieces
the meaty part of the chicken. Check out the juices
that come out – if they are red, the chicken is not red
even more so. Place back in the oven for 10 minutes
more, then test it again.
- Mix the BBQ sauce: Open the freezer bag and then add ketchup, honey, chili sauce, soy sauce, oil, vinegar and spices. Seal the bag and stir the ingredients together to combine.
- Add the chicken: Using a sharp knife, make two or three deep cuts in the meaty part of the thighs (this will infuse lots of flavor from the sauce). Place the chicken with the sauce in the bag and seal. Wash your hands. Press everything together again so that all the legs are well covered. To marinate, leave in the refrigerator for 1 hour or overnight.
- Prepare the vegetables: On a clean cutting board, use a clean, sharp knife to thinly slice the cabbage, then add it to the mixing bowl. Now prepare the other vegetables and add them to the bowl after preparation. Peel the onion and chop finely. Cut the celery stick into thin slices.
- Grate apple and carrot: Take the apple (leave it whole and with the peel on) and grate it down to the core. Turn the apple a quarter turn and grate it again. Repeat until only the core remains. Be careful not to rub your knuckles. Peel the carrot and then cut off the stem end. Grate the carrot and add it to the bowl.
- To prepare the chicken: Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas. 6. Place the chicken and sauce in a large roasting pan, keeping the legs apart. Carefully place the roasting pan in the oven using oven mitts, then set the timer for 20 minutes. When the time is up, carefully remove the chicken from the oven. Brush the chicken in the roasting pan with the glaze and place in the oven for another 15 minutes.
- Mix the slaw: While the chicken is cooking, mix the vegetables with clean hands or a spoon. Add mayonnaise, yogurt and mustard to the vegetables and season with salt and pepper. Mix well. When the chicken is cooked through and golden brown, serve with the coleslaw.
Equipment and tools
- Sharp knife
This recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Eggs (mayonnaise)
- Dairy products (Greek yogurt)
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They last up to 2 days.
Health Benefits of BBQ Chicken & Coleslaw
When it comes to summer grilling, BBQ chicken and coleslaw are a delicious and filling combination. Not only do they taste great together, but they also provide several health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at why this classic dish can be a nutritious choice:
1. Lean protein source
Chicken drumsticks are a great source of lean protein. They provide essential amino acids necessary for muscle growth, repair and maintenance. Protein also helps stabilize blood sugar levels and promotes satiety, which can be helpful in weight control.
2. Vitamins and minerals
Coleslaw, made from cabbage, red onions, celery, apples and carrots, is full of vitamins and minerals. Cabbage is an excellent source of vitamin C, which supports the immune system and collagen production. It also contains vitamin K, which is important for bone health.
Red onions and apples are rich in antioxidants, including quercetin and flavonols, which help reduce inflammation and protect against chronic diseases. Celery provides a good dose of vitamin K and potassium, while carrots provide vitamin A and fiber.
3. Healthy fats
The coleslaw dressing made from mayonnaise, Greek yogurt and olive oil provides a source of healthy fats. These fats are essential for the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins and play a role in brain function and hormone production.
4. Flavorful, low-sodium sauce
The BBQ sauce used in this recipe is a delicious blend of tomato ketchup, honey, sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, olive oil, white wine vinegar and Cajun seasoning. It gives the chicken a special flavor without requiring an excessive amount of salt. This is beneficial for people watching their sodium intake.
Overall, BBQ chicken and coleslaw can provide a well-rounded meal that is both delicious and nutritious. By using organic chicken and fresh, high-quality ingredients, you can get the most health benefits from this classic summer dish.