Welcome to Barney’s Fancy Mince Pies Recipe! Please note that this recipe contains pork and is intended for non-Muslims only. These delicious treats aren’t your typical cakes; They are more like Catherine wheels or miniature Danish pastries. These mince pies are perfect for the festive season and promise a fun and playful experience during the Christmas festivities. Get ready to indulge in the whimsical charm of these delicious creations!
- 50g golden powdered sugar
- 1 sheet of ready-rolled puff pastry
- 411g jar of traditional minced meat
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 25g almond flakes
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6/fan 180°C.
- Sprinkle the sugar over the work surface, unravel the dough, then roll it out so that it is a quarter larger but retains its rectangular shape.
- Spoon the minced meat and spread it evenly over the dough. Leave a 2cm margin on the longest edges.
- Fold one of the longest edges over the mince, then roll the dough tightly into a sausage shape, gently pressing it into the mince.
- When you get to the other edge, brush it with milk and press down to enclose the minced meat.
- Gently press both ends in to fill the roll and let it chill for at least 30 minutes to firm up.
- (The mince pie roll can now be frozen whole or in portioned slices, see below, for up to 1 month.)
- Cut the roll into 12 slices about 3 cm thick.
- Place them evenly on a large baking sheet and flatten them with your hand to resemble squashed Chelsea buns.
- Scatter the almonds on top and bake for 20-30 minutes until the minced meat is golden brown and sizzling.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes – store separately so they don’t stick together.
- Eat hot with vanilla ice cream or just like that.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- rolling pin
- Round cookie cutter
- Pastry brush
- Flat baking tray
This recipe contains the following allergens:
Please ensure that these allergens are safe to consume if you or someone you are cooking for has allergies or dietary restrictions.
Storage and leftovers
Barney’s fudgy mince pies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
If you have leftovers, you can store them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When ready to eat, reheat the mince pies in a preheated oven at 180°C for 5-10 minutes or until warmed through.
Health Benefits of Barney’s Roly-Poly Mince Pies
Eating delicious desserts doesn’t always have to mean putting your health at risk. Barney’s fluffy mince pies not only delight your taste buds, but also offer numerous health benefits thanks to their carefully selected ingredients. Let’s take a closer look at the goodness that goes into these delicious treats.
1. Golden powdered sugar
Barney’s fluffy mince pies contain 50g of golden icing sugar. While excessive sugar consumption isn’t ideal for your health, when consumed in moderation, sugar can provide a quick boost of energy. Additionally, golden powdered sugar adds a touch of sweetness to the cakes, enhancing their overall flavor.
2. Ready-rolled puff pastry
Using pre-rolled puff pastry in Barney’s Mince Pies creates a light, flaky texture that melts in your mouth. Puff pastry made from high-quality ingredients can be a rich source of carbohydrates and provide energy for your daily activities.
3. Traditional minced meat
A key component of Barney’s fudgy mince pies is the 411g jar of traditional mince pie. Traditional minced meat typically contains dried fruits such as raisins and currants, which are excellent sources of fiber. Fiber supports digestion and can help maintain a healthy weight by promoting satiety.
Barney’s fudgy mince pies have a tablespoon of milk added, giving the filling a touch of moisture and richness. Milk is a fantastic source of calcium, which is essential for maintaining strong bones and teeth. It also contains other vital nutrients such as vitamin D, potassium and protein.
5. Slivered almonds
The addition of 25g of flaked almonds to Barney’s Mince Pies provides a delicious crunch and a hint of nutty flavour. Almonds are nutritional powerhouses, packed with healthy fats, vitamin E and fiber. They are known to support heart health, control weight and provide a good dose of antioxidants.
Barney’s fudgy mince pies prove that delicious desserts can be part of a balanced lifestyle. With golden powdered sugar, ready-rolled puff pastry, traditional minced meat, milk and flaked almonds, these cakes not only offer a delicious taste experience, but also contribute to your general well-being.