A popular delicacy in the Midlands, Banbury cake is a must for all dessert enthusiasts. This quick and easy recipe guarantees a delicious tea experience that goes perfectly with a steaming cup of Earl Gray tea. With its puff pastry and sweet, spiced filling, Banbury cake will delight your taste buds. Whether you’re an experienced baker or a novice in the kitchen, this recipe is straightforward and guaranteed to deliver delicious results. So treat yourself to a piece of this delicious pastry and treat yourself to a moment of pure pleasure.
- 50g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tbsp English honey
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 100g currants
- 50 g candied orange peel
- Flour for dusting
- 500g pack of whole butter puff pastry
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1-2 tbsp grated sugar or crushed coarse sugar cubes
- Mix the butter and honey together with the spices until creamy.
- Add the currants and candied peel and mix well.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough to the thickness of a £1 coin, cut out 10 x 10cm circles and re-roll any scraps.
- Distribute the filling among the circles.
- Pull the edges of the dough up to enclose the filling and fold the edges of the dough together so they look like little purses.
- Turn the packages over, folds facing down.
- Carefully roll out each packet into an oval shape, making sure the filling is not exposed.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Place the cakes on a baking sheet lined with nonstick paper.
- Brush with egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes until cooked through and crispy.
- Turn the oven down if the top browns too quickly.
- After cooking, place on a rack and allow to cool slightly before eating.
- When cold, they are great to spread with a little salted butter.
Banbury cake recipe
Banbury cake recipe
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- Whisk or spoon
- rolling pin
- Pasty brush
- Baking tray or tray
Please note that Banbury cakes may contain the following allergens:
- Dairy products (unsalted butter)
Always check specific product labels for allergen information or consult a healthcare professional if you have any dietary restrictions or concerns.
Storage and leftovers
Banbury cakes can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. If you have leftover cake, you can freshen it up by warming it in the oven on low for a few minutes before serving.
Health Benefits of Banbury Cake
Banbury cakes are not only a delicious treat but also offer several health benefits. Packed with a combination of rich ingredients, these sweet pastries can provide a range of nutrients that have a positive impact on your overall well-being. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of the key ingredients used in Banbury cake.
1. Unsalted butter
The soft, unsalted butter used in Banbury cakes provides a good dose of healthy fats. While too much saturated fat can be harmful, a moderate intake of healthy fats is necessary for our bodies. These fats provide energy, aid nutrient absorption, and support brain function.
2. English honey
English honey adds a natural sweetness to Banbury cakes without the need for excessive refined sugar. Honey contains antioxidants and trace amounts of vitamins and minerals that can boost the immune system and promote overall health.
Not only does nutmeg improve the taste of Banbury cake, but it also offers potential health benefits. It contains compounds with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that support digestive health and may help reduce inflammation in the body.
Using ground cinnamon in Banbury cake not only provides a wonderful flavor but also offers potential health benefits. Cinnamon has been linked to improving blood sugar control, reducing inflammation, increasing brain function, and aiding digestion.
Currants, a delicious dried fruit, are full of important vitamins, minerals and fiber. They contain antioxidants that can neutralize harmful free radicals in the body, protecting cells from damage. Additionally, their fiber content can contribute to a healthy digestive system.
6. Candied orange peel
Candied orange peel not only adds a touch of citrus flavor, but also offers health benefits. Oranges are rich in vitamin C, which is essential for a healthy immune system. Vitamin C also supports collagen production, supports brain function and promotes cardiovascular health.
7. Whole butter puff pastry
Banbury cakes are made from pure butter puff pastry, which contains more butter than regular pastry. Although butter should be consumed in moderation, it provides vitamins A, D, E and K as well as healthy fats that are beneficial for skin health and nutrient absorption.
8. Chopped sugar or crushed sugar cubes with rough edges
The small amount of grated sugar or crushed, coarse-edged sugar cubes used as a topping on Banbury cake provides sweetness and texture. However, as part of a balanced diet, it is important to consume added sugar in moderation.
In summary, Banbury cakes not only satisfy your sweet tooth, but also offer potential health benefits through their key ingredients. From the healthy fats in unsalted butter to the antioxidants in currants and cinnamon, these delicious treats can be enjoyed as part of a balanced diet. So next time you enjoy a Banbury cake, know that you’re not only enjoying a delicious pastry, but you’re also supporting your health in a number of ways.