This delicious dessert, known as Banana Tarte Tatin, is a true masterpiece that combines the irresistible flavors of caramel, banana and shortbread. Each bite offers a heavenly blend of sweetness and creaminess that will leave you wanting more. And the ultimate treat? A dollop of rum-spiced cream that adds the perfect touch of richness and warmth. Let this stunning creation be the sweet end to any meal, an elegant treat that will enchant both your eyes and your taste buds.
- 50g unsalted butter
- 100g golden powdered sugar
- 230g sheet of ready-rolled puff pastry
- 6 firm large bananas
- Ice cream or crème fraîche to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C fan/220°C top/gas.
- Melt the butter in a deep 20cm heavy-based frying pan (one that fits in the oven).
- Stir in the sugar and cook over medium heat until the butter and sugar form a golden brown caramel, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the caramel from the heat and let it cool, but do not let it solidify.
- In the meantime, roll out the puff pastry on a floured work surface and cut into a 24 cm disk.
- Halve the bananas lengthwise.
- Arrange the bananas in the caramel, uncut side down, so that the whole bananas fit snugly against the edge of the pan.
- If necessary, fill the center by cutting the bananas into smaller pieces.
- Place the dough disk on top of the bananas and fold the edges along the sides of the pan.
- Bake the tart in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
- Allow to cool for about 5 minutes before turning out.
- To turn the tart out, place an inverted large plate on top of the dough.
- Spread your hand across the plate to ensure a good grip.
- Quickly flip the pan over and then carefully lift it off.
- The caramelized bananas should now be facing up.
- Serve the tart slices with vanilla ice cream or a good dollop of crème fraîche.
Equipment and tools
- Large frying pan with non-stick coating
- Heat-resistant spatula
- Ovenproof dish or pan
- rolling pin
- Sharp knife
- This recipe contains dairy products (unsalted butter and crème fraîche).
- This recipe contains gluten (puff pastry).
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers, you can store the banana tart tatin in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. To serve, reheat in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 10 minutes or until warmed through. Serve with ice cream or crème fraîche.
The Health Benefits of Banana Tart Tatin
Forget the guilt that comes with delicious desserts, because the Banana Tart Tatin that we are about to introduce to you has several health benefits. In addition to being deliciously sweet and delicious, this classic French dessert is packed with nutrients that provide a range of benefits for your overall well-being.
1. Excellent source of fiber
Banana Tart Tatin contains plenty of fiber thanks to bananas and puff pastry. Fiber plays a crucial role in improving digestion and preventing constipation. Additionally, it helps maintain healthy cholesterol levels and control blood sugar levels. Including this dessert in your diet can significantly help meet your daily fiber needs.
2. Rich in essential vitamins
Bananas are not only a fantastic source of fiber, but also rich in important vitamins. They contain a significant amount of vitamin C, which strengthens immune function and protects the body from various diseases. This dessert also contains vitamin B6, which supports brain development and function and helps the body produce red blood cells.
3. Promotes heart health
Including bananas in Tarte Tatin offers numerous heart health benefits. Bananas are an excellent source of potassium, a mineral that helps regulate blood pressure and maintain a healthy heart rhythm. By incorporating this dessert into your diet, you can support your cardiovascular health and reduce the risk of heart disease.
4. Natural energy booster
Want an energy boost? Then you’ve come to the right place with banana tart Tatin. This dessert contains natural sugars from bananas that provide an instant energy boost. Bananas are also known for their ability to replenish electrolytes, making this treat an excellent option for post-workout recovery.
5. Supports mood and mental health
Enjoying a piece of banana tarte tatin can also benefit your mood and mental health. Bananas contain tryptophan, an amino acid that is converted into serotonin in the body. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that regulates mood and promotes feelings of happiness and well-being.
6. Antioxidant properties
This delicious dessert also offers antioxidant benefits. Bananas are rich in various antioxidants, including dopamine and vitamin C, which help fight off harmful free radicals in the body. Antioxidants play an important role in protecting cells from damage, supporting overall health, and reducing the risk of chronic disease.
So next time you’re in the mood for a delicious treat, consider Banana Tart Tatin. Not only does it satisfy your sweet tooth, but it also provides you with several health benefits that contribute to your overall well-being.