This teatime favorite is juicy, sweet, nutty and comforting – it’s sure to be a hit with friends and family.
Enjoy the delicious combination of ripe bananas and crunchy pecans that together make a heavenly bread.
Each piece is packed with incredible flavors and a delicate texture that will leave you wanting more.
Enjoy this delicious treat as an afternoon snack, breakfast or dessert – it’s perfect for any occasion.
- 175g softened butter, plus some butter for greasing
- 175g golden powdered sugar
- 3 eggs
- 140g self-raising flour
- 85g ground almonds
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 100 ml milk
- 2 small, very ripe bananas
- 50g pecans, chopped, plus extra
- 85g soft butter
- 100g powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/140°C fan/gas 3.
- Grease a 900 g loaf tin and line it with a long strip of baking paper.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric whisk until fluffy.
- Add the bananas in a few pieces and mix them with eggs, flour, almonds, baking powder and milk until smooth. The whisk mash the bananas.
- Stir in the pecans and then scrape the dough into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake the loaf for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown and risen and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the loaf to cool in the pan and then remove it from the pan.
- In a separate bowl, beat butter, powdered sugar and vanilla until creamy.
- Spread the buttercream on the cooled cake.
- Sprinkle additional chopped pecans on top to garnish.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- Electric mixer or whisk
- Box shape
- parchment paper
- Cooling rack
This banana pecan loaf recipe contains the following allergens:
- Flour (wheat)
- Almonds (nuts)
- Pecans (nuts)
Storage and leftovers
This banana pecan loaf can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Alternatively, you can wrap it tightly in cling film or aluminum foil and store it in the fridge for up to 1 week.
If you have leftover slices, you can freeze them individually wrapped in plastic wrap or in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw the slices in the refrigerator before enjoying.
Health Benefits of Banana and Pecan Bread
The combination of bananas and pecans in this delicious loaf not only provides delicious flavor but also provides several health benefits. From providing essential nutrients to promoting heart health, this sweet treat can be enjoyed guilt-free. Let’s delve deeper into the various health benefits of the ingredients used in this banana pecan loaf recipe:
Bananas are widely known for their high potassium content, which is beneficial for maintaining normal blood pressure and supporting heart health. They’re also a good source of fiber, which aids digestion and promotes satiety, so you feel fuller for longer. Bananas are rich in vitamins C and B6, which strengthen the immune system and improve brain function.
Not only are pecans a delicious addition to this bread, but they also provide a number of health benefits. Pecans are a great source of monounsaturated fats, heart-healthy fats that can help lower bad cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. They’re also packed with antioxidants, including vitamin E, which contributes to the overall health of your cells and tissues.
This recipe calls for self-raising flour, which contains a raising agent, typically baking powder. Baking soda causes the loaf to rise as it bakes, resulting in a light and fluffy consistency. Additionally, self-raising flour typically contains less gluten compared to all-purpose flour, which can be beneficial for people who are sensitive to gluten or suffer from gluten-related disorders.
Ground almonds give the bread a nutty taste and at the same time have positive effects on health. Almonds are a great source of protein and healthy fats, which promote satiety and can stabilize blood sugar levels. They’re also packed with vitamin E, magnesium, and antioxidants, all of which contribute to heart health and overall wellness.
milk and eggs
Using milk and eggs in this recipe provides moisture, richness, and essential nutrients. Milk is a good source of calcium, which is crucial for maintaining strong bones and teeth. Eggs are a rich source of complete protein and provide all the essential amino acids required for various body functions.
powdered sugar and vanilla extract
Powdered sugar and vanilla extract are used to make the delicious glaze for this banana pecan loaf. While these ingredients primarily add flavor and sweetness, moderation is important due to their high sugar content.
Enjoy a piece of this delicious Banana Pecan Loaf while reaping the nutritional benefits it offers!