This delicious baked rabbit chorizo rice recipe is a treat for non-Muslims as it contains pork. This paella-like dish combines the rich and spicy flavor of rabbit and is incredibly easy to make when baked. The addition of spicy chorizo, aromatic paprika and exquisite saffron gives this dish a range of tempting flavors. Prepare to tantalize your taste buds with this delicious culinary creation that will leave you wanting more.
- 1 rabbit, portioned
- Glass of white wine (approx. 125 ml)
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus some for frying
- Bunch of thyme
- 200g cooking chorizo
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- ½ tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 200g paella rice
- 850 ml fresh chicken stock
- Pinch of saffron soaked in 2 tbsp boiling water
- 200g frozen peas
- Bunch of parsley, chopped
- Cut the rabbit into about 20 small pieces (leave the bone in – ask your butcher to do this). Marinate in wine, olive oil and thyme for 1 hour, overnight if possible.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas. 4. Drain the rabbit from the marinade and reserve the liquid.
- Heat some oil in a shallow, fireproof casserole dish and fry the chorizo until crispy. Remove the chorizo and let the excess oil drain from the mold.
- Fry the rabbit pieces in 2 batches and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic, cook until soft, then stir in the peppers and tomato puree.
- Stir in the rice and then pour over the reserved marinade, stock and saffron.
- Place the rabbit in the rice with the chorizo, cover, bring to a boil, then bake for 40-50 minutes or until the rice and rabbit are tender and all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir in the frozen peas to thaw, then serve sprinkled with parsley.
Equipment and tools
- frying pan
- Oven-safe dishes
- measuring glass
- wooden spoon
- Small bowl
- Boiling water
This recipe contains the following allergens:
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply place the dish in a preheated oven at 350°F (180°C) for about 15 minutes or until heated through. Alternatively, heat it in the microwave on medium power, stirring occasionally, until evenly heated.
Health Benefits of Baked Rabbit and Chorizo Rice
When it comes to making a nutritious and tasty meal, the baked rabbit chorizo rice recipe is a good choice. Combining the lean protein of rabbit with the bold flavors of chorizo and other ingredients, this dish will not only satisfy your taste buds but also provide several health benefits. Let’s delve deeper into the nutritional benefits of this delicious recipe:
1. Rich in protein
Rabbit meat is a fantastic source of protein. Since one serving of rabbit weighs approximately 454 grams, this recipe provides a significant amount of protein, which is essential for building and repairing tissue, supporting muscle growth, and maintaining a healthy immune system.
2. Rich in vitamins and minerals
By using rabbit meat, chorizo, onions, garlic and parsley in this recipe, you get a variety of vitamins and minerals. These ingredients contain B vitamins, including thiamine, riboflavin and niacin, which support energy production and promote healthy brain function. In addition, they provide minerals such as iron, zinc and selenium, which are important for red blood cell formation, immune system support and antioxidant defense.
3. Antioxidant properties
Smoked paprika, often used in chorizo, is a rich source of antioxidants. These compounds protect your body from damage caused by harmful free radicals and reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and certain cancers.
4. Heart healthy
Using olive oil, white wine, and saffron in this recipe provides heart-healthy components. Olive oil contains monounsaturated fats, which are known to lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. Likewise, moderate consumption of white wine has been linked to a lower risk of heart disease. Saffron, an aromatic spice, contains bioactive compounds that may have cardioprotective effects.
5. Fiber and antioxidant boost
Peas are an excellent addition to this recipe as they provide fiber and antioxidants. Fiber supports digestion, promotes satiety and helps regulate blood sugar levels. Antioxidants found in peas, such as flavonols and carotenoids, play a role in reducing inflammation and protecting against various diseases.
Overall, the baked rabbit chorizo rice recipe not only provides a flavorful and filling meal but also comes with several health benefits. From lean protein and essential vitamins to heart-healthy ingredients and antioxidant-rich ingredients, this dish offers a well-rounded nutritional profile that contributes to your overall well-being.