Create a delicious Italian topping for peaches and nectarines for an easy summer dessert. Baked nectarines with almonds and marsala offer a delicious combination of flavors and textures. The natural sweetness of the fruit is enhanced by the nutty crunch of the almonds, while the Marsala wine adds a sophisticated touch. This quick and easy recipe requires minimal preparation, making it perfect for effortless yet impressive entertaining. Serve the warm, caramelized fruit alongside a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream for a treat everyone will love. Expand your dessert offerings with this delicious summer dish!
- 6 nectarines, halved, deseeded
- 100g amaretti cookies
- 100 g butter, soft
- 85g ground almonds
- 85g golden powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-2 tbsp roasted flaked almonds
- 250ml Marsala
- Greek yogurt or crème fraîche to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Place the nectarine halves, cut side up, tightly in a baking dish.
- Place the amaretti cookies in a large bowl and smash them into crumbs with the tip of a rolling pin.
- Add the softened butter, ground almonds, powdered sugar and egg to the bowl.
- Mix all ingredients.
- Spoon the mixture into the cavities of the nectarines.
- Add more of the mixture until it is evenly distributed among the nectarines.
- Scatter almonds over the nectarines.
- Carefully pour the Marsala into the mold through a gap between the fruit so that the topping doesn’t get soggy.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until the fruit is golden brown and crispy and the fruit is soft.
- Eat the baked nectarines warm and pour the juice over them.
- Serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt or crème fraîche on the side.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- Fork or whisk
- cooking brush
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Amaretti cookies (may contain gluten, nuts and eggs)
- butter (milk)
- Ground almonds (nuts)
- Golden powdered sugar
- Roasted almond flakes (nuts)
- Marsala (contains alcohol)
- Greek yogurt or crème fraîche (dairy products)
Storage and leftovers
Store leftover Baked Nectarines with Almonds and Marsala in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They last up to 2 days.
Health Benefits of Baked Nectarines with Almonds and Marsala
In addition to being a delicious summer fruit, nectarines also offer a number of health benefits when incorporated into dishes like baked nectarines with almonds and marsala. This delicious dessert combines the natural sweetness of nectarines with the crunch of almonds and the subtle richness of Marsala wine, resulting in a treat that is both filling and nutritious.
1. Rich in fiber
With their velvety skin and juicy flesh, nectarines are an excellent source of fiber. Fiber plays a crucial role in digestive health by promoting regular bowel movements, preventing constipation and maintaining a healthy gut.
2. Rich in antioxidants
Antioxidants are compounds that help protect our cells from damage caused by harmful molecules called free radicals. Nectarines are rich in antioxidants, including vitamin C and beta-carotene, which can boost the immune system, reduce inflammation and potentially reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and certain cancers.
3. Nutrient powerhouse
Amidst the sweet and juicy taste, nectarines contain an impressive array of essential vitamins and minerals. They are a good source of vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium and fiber. These nutrients play an important role in maintaining overall health, from supporting eye health and immune function to promoting healthy skin and regulating blood pressure.
4. Heart-Healthy Almonds
This recipe contains ground almonds and toasted slivered almonds, both of which offer numerous health benefits. Almonds are rich in heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, which may help lower bad cholesterol and improve cardiovascular health. They’re also a good source of vitamin E, an antioxidant that supports healthy skin and hair.
5. Marsala wine
In this recipe, Marsala wine not only adds a touch of sophistication to the dish, but also offers some potential health benefits. Red wine generally contains resveratrol, a powerful antioxidant that may help protect the heart and have anti-inflammatory properties. However, it is important to consume alcohol in moderation as excessive consumption can have negative health effects.
6. Creamy and light topping
To complement the flavor of the baked nectarines, this recipe recommends serving them with Greek yogurt or crème fraîche. Greek yogurt is an excellent source of protein, calcium and probiotics that promote gut health. Crème fraîche, on the other hand, provides a creamy note and contributes to the delicious character of the dessert.
So while you enjoy the heavenly combination of baked nectarines with almonds and marsala, you can enjoy not only the exquisite flavors but also the nourishing benefits that these natural ingredients have to offer. Enjoy this delicious treat guilt-free, knowing that every delicious bite offers both taste and health.