This recipe for baked cod with chorizo crumbs and lemon aïoli is a delicious and aromatic dish that combines the best Spanish flavors. Although it contains pork, it is perfect for non-Muslims who want to explore new culinary experiences.
The combination of white fish and chorizo creates a classic combination that is sure to impress your taste buds. The spicy sausage not only adds a rich smoky note to the meaty cod, but also adds a hint of delicious flavors to the dish. This baked cod recipe, topped with a zesty lemon aïoli, is a perfect blend of textures and flavors that is sure to become a favorite on your dinner table.
- 175g cooked chorizo, skinless, cut into pieces
- 50g slightly stale breadcrumbs
- 25 g blanched almonds, roasted and roughly chopped
- Zest of half a lemon
- 1½ tbsp olive oil, plus some for greasing
- 6 sustainable cod fillets without bones and skin (approx. 175 g each)
- 6 tbsp high quality mayonnaise
- ½ garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Place the chorizo in a frying pan and cook over medium heat until it releases the oil and becomes crispy in spots.
- In the meantime, prepare the aïoli: Mix the ingredients with some spices and then chill.
- Place the chorizo and oil in a food processor and pulse until broken down into small pieces.
- Add breadcrumbs, almonds, lemon zest, spices and half the olive oil and process into crumbs.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Place the cod fillets on a lightly greased baking tray and brush with the remaining oil.
- Pile the crumbs onto the fish and press down so that the fillets are well covered.
- Let them set in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.
- When ready to cook, place the fish in the oven for 10-15 minutes, depending on the thickness of your fillets, until the flesh has turned opaque and the chorizo crumbs are golden brown.
Equipment and tools
- Large frying pan
- Food processor or blender
- cutting board
- baking pan
- mixing bowl
- spatula or spoon
- Aluminum foil
This recipe contains the following allergens:
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. To reheat, place the cod fillets in a preheated 350°F (175°C) oven and bake for about 10 minutes or until heated through.
Please note that the consistency and taste may change slightly when reheated.
Health Benefits of Baked Cod with Chorizo Crumbs and Lemon Aïoli
When it comes to a delicious yet nutritious meal, this Baked Cod with Chorizo Crumble and Lemon Aïoli is for you. Not only does it satisfy your taste buds with its unique flavors, but it also offers several health benefits that make it a smart choice for anyone who wants to fuel their body with healthy ingredients.
1. Lean protein source
Cod, the main ingredient in this dish, is a fantastic source of lean protein. Each sustainable boneless, skinless cod fillet contains approximately 175g of high-quality protein. Protein is important for building and repairing tissue, supporting the immune system, and promoting healthy hair, skin, and nails. Including cod in your diet will help you meet your daily protein needs without adding excessive fat or calories to your meals.
2. Omega-3 fatty acids
Cod is also rich in omega-3 fatty acids, particularly eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). These essential fats are known for their numerous health benefits, including reducing inflammation, improving brain function, and supporting heart health. Regular consumption of omega-3 fatty acids has also been linked to a reduced risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes and certain cancers.
3. Nutrient-rich chorizo crumbs
The flavorful chorizo crumbs in this recipe add a delicious crunch while providing some nutritional benefits. Chorizo is a type of sausage usually made from pork, but poultry or vegetarian versions also exist. It contains several vitamins and minerals including vitamin B12, zinc and selenium. These nutrients are essential for energy production, immune function and maintaining healthy cells.
4. Antioxidant-rich almonds
Adding toasted and coarsely chopped blanched almonds to the chorizo crumbs further improves the nutritional profile. Almonds are an excellent source of vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant that helps protect cells from free radical damage. Vitamin E also plays a role in maintaining healthy skin, eyes and a strong immune system. Additionally, almonds provide heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, fiber, and essential minerals like magnesium and phosphorus.
5. Lemon aïoli with garlic
The zesty lemon aïoli in this recipe not only enhances the flavor of the dish but also provides several health benefits. Garlic, a key ingredient in aïoli, contains compounds proven to have antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties. It may also help lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels, thereby reducing the risk of heart disease. Lemon juice provides a refreshing citrus flavor while providing a good amount of vitamin C, an antioxidant essential for a strong immune system and collagen synthesis.
Overall, this recipe for baked cod with chorizo crumbs and lemon aïoli is a great choice for both culinary enjoyment and well-being. It combines the lean protein and omega-3 fatty acids of cod, the nutrient-rich chorizo crumbs and almonds, and the health benefits of garlic and lemon aïoli. So why not treat yourself to this delicious and nutritious meal?