Introducing our delicious Cottage Pie Bake, a real treat for non-Muslims looking for a delicious culinary experience. This hearty dish features juicy braised beef paired with a layer of velvety, cheesy mashed potatoes, making it an instant family favorite.
Treat yourself to the divine flavors and textures that blend harmoniously with each bite. Our Cottage Pie Bake guarantees a comforting and filling meal that will please young and old and leave everyone wanting more. Be enchanted by this exquisite combination of healthy ingredients and rich flavors, perfect for any occasion!
- 1 kg beef leg or feather leaf, cut into very large pieces
- 2-4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 200 g bacon fat
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 200g shallots, peeled
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 3 sprigs each of thyme and bay leaves
- 300g baby carrots or baby Chantenay carrots
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ kg potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 25g butter
- 85g mature cheddar, grated
- 100 ml milk
- 2 tsp English mustard powder
- Brown the beef in oil in batches in a large casserole dish or pan.
- Add the bacon, shallots and celery and fry for 10 minutes until soft and golden brown.
- Stir in the flour until absorbed.
- Crumble in the bouillon cubes.
- Gradually stir in 1 liter of water and the Worcestershire sauce.
- Add herbs, return the beef and pan juices, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add carrots, cover and simmer for another hour until really soft.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until tender.
- Drain well and return to pan over low heat to steam dry for 2 minutes.
- Mash the potatoes with butter, cheese, milk, mustard powder and spices.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Strain the beef and vegetables into a large colander set over a deep skillet.
- Allow the sauce to simmer over high heat for 5 minutes to reduce.
- Cut the beef into rough pieces and place in a casserole dish with vegetables, bacon and a little thickened sauce.
- Pipe or spoon onto the porridge.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the porridge is golden brown and crispy.
- The cake can be assembled and refrigerated for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
- If frozen, thaw thoroughly and then bake as directed above, but for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
Equipment and tools
- Large frying pan
- Large ovenproof dish
- Potato masher or potato press
- baking tray
This cottage pie baking recipe contains dairy (butter, cheddar, and milk) and gluten (plain flour). Please be aware of these allergens if you or your guests have dietary restrictions or allergies.
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers, allow the cottage pie casserole to cool completely before transferring to an airtight container. It will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat, remove the dish from the refrigerator and place in a preheated oven at 350°F (180°C) for about 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Be sure to cover the form with foil so that the top does not dry out.
If desired, you can also freeze the cottage pie casserole. Allow it to cool completely and then wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and foil. It can be frozen for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, let the cake thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then follow the reheating instructions above.
Health Benefits of Cottage Pie Bake
The traditional British dish Cottage Pie Bake not only satisfies the taste buds but also offers a range of health benefits. Packed with nutritious ingredients like beef, vegetables and potatoes, this hearty meal offers a perfect balance of essential nutrients. Let’s explore the health benefits of the main ingredients in this recipe:
Lean beef, such as beef shank or feather leaf, used in Cottage Pie Bake serves as an excellent source of high-quality protein. Protein is crucial for building and repairing tissue, promoting muscle growth, and supporting overall body functions. It also provides essential amino acids that are necessary for various body processes.
2. Sunflower oil
Using sunflower oil in this recipe offers a healthier option compared to other oils. It contains heart-healthy monounsaturated fats that may help lower bad cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. Additionally, sunflower oil is a good source of vitamin E, an antioxidant that supports immune function and helps protect cells from damage.
3. Bacon grease
While bacon fat adds flavor to Cottage Pie Bake, its higher fat content makes it important to consume it in moderation. However, they provide a good amount of proteins, B vitamins and minerals such as iron and zinc.
Celery is a low-calorie vegetable that is rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals. It is an excellent source of vitamin K, which plays a key role in blood clotting and bone health. Celery’s high fiber content helps aid digestion, maintain healthy cholesterol levels, and support weight management.
Shallots, a type of onion, not only enhance the flavor of Cottage Pie Bake but also provide various health benefits. They contain antioxidants that help protect cells from damage caused by harmful free radicals. Shallots also provide important nutrients such as vitamin C, vitamin A and potassium.
The addition of baby carrots or baby Chantenay carrots gives the Cottage Pie Bake a vibrant color and a significant nutritional boost. Carrots are an excellent source of beta-carotene, a precursor to vitamin A, which is essential for good vision, immune function and healthy skin. This root vegetable is also rich in fiber and antioxidants.
7. Worcestershire sauce
Although consumed in smaller quantities, Worcestershire sauce adds a tangy and savory flavor to Cottage Pie Bake. It is made from a blend of herbs, spices, vinegar, and fermented ingredients that can aid digestion and improve flavor. However, due to the relatively high sodium content, it is important to keep consumption in moderation.
Potatoes, the main ingredient in Cottage Pie Bake’s creamy puree, provide a rich source of carbohydrates and fiber. They are an excellent source of vitamin C, potassium and vitamin B6. The peel of potatoes contains beneficial compounds such as antioxidants and fiber. Therefore, it is recommended to leave the peel on if possible.
9. Cheddar cheese
The use of aged cheddar cheese in the Cottage Pie Bake gives the dish a deliciously creamy layer. Cheddar cheese is a good source of protein and calcium, essential for maintaining strong bones and teeth. However, due to its higher fat and calorie content, it is advisable to consume cheese in moderation.
Adding milk to the mashed potatoes in this recipe creates a creamy consistency. Milk is an excellent source of calcium, vitamin D and protein. It plays an important role in supporting bone health, promoting muscle growth and providing necessary nutrients for overall well-being.
11. English mustard powder
The addition of English mustard powder gives the Cottage Pie Bake a unique flavor and a touch of spiciness. Mustard powder has antimicrobial properties and can boost metabolism. It also contains small amounts of minerals such as iron, calcium and potassium.
With its combination of protein, carbohydrates, healthy fats and a variety of essential vitamins and minerals, the Cottage Pie Bake is a complete meal that can be enjoyed as part of a balanced diet.