Celebrate St David’s Day with this delicious loaf, baked in a traditional Welsh Bacheldre clay pot. Made from authentic ingredients, this bread pays homage to the rich Welsh baking tradition. The clay pot ensures a perfectly crispy crust and a soft, moist interior, making it a perfect companion to any meal or a delicious snack on its own. Treat yourself to the irresistible scent and taste of this artisan bread that effortlessly combines tradition and taste. Try this delicious recipe and experience the delicious taste of Wales in every bite.
- 100g Bacheldre Watermill Organic Strong 100% wholemeal flour
- 350g Bacheldre Watermill Organic Strong Unbleached White Flour
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 150ml/¼ pint lukewarm milk
- 150ml/¼ pint lukewarm water
- 1 tbsp clear organic honey
- 3 tbsp organic extra virgin olive oil
- 7 g bag of dried rapid yeast
- 1 free-range egg, beaten for glaze (optional)
- Fennel seeds, for sprinkling (optional)
- First, prepare your pot. Choose a clean clay flower pot (15cm diameter x 15cm height). Clean thoroughly, oil inside and out and bake three to four times in a hot oven for about 30-40 minutes. You can do this while baking other foods.
- Mix both flours with the salt in a large mixing bowl, then add all the herbs and garlic and mix thoroughly, then make a well in the middle.
- In a large, warm pitcher, combine milk, water, honey, olive oil and yeast and let sit for a few minutes to activate the yeast. Now pour the liquid into the middle of the flour and use a spoon to start mixing the flour into the liquid from the outside of the bowl all the way into the middle.
- Now continue mixing with clean, warm hands until all the ingredients form a dough. Knead on a lightly floured work surface for 5-7 minutes, place in a bowl, cover with oiled cling film and let rise in a warm place for 30-40 minutes.
- The dough should be larger than when you started, so “knock it back” – literally punch a hole in the middle and knead it again for 5 minutes.
- Now prepare the pot, making sure it is well greased (you can line the pot with baking paper if necessary) and shape the dough into it. Score the top of the dough about 1 cm with a sharp knife to give the loaf that little extra character. Place in a warm place and let rise for 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas mark 7, carefully glaze the top of the dough and sprinkle with the fennel seeds. Carefully place the pot in the center of the oven, being careful not to hit the pot, and bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden brown. Remove the loaf from the oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack and allow to cool completely. Be careful as the pot will be very hot.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- clay pot
- Wooden spoon or dough whisk
- Measuring cups and spoons
- parchment paper
- Pastry brush
- Sharp knife or bread cutting tool
This recipe contains the following allergens:
Storage and leftovers
How to save leftover Welsh Bacheldre clay pot bread:
- Allow the bread to cool completely.
- Wrap the bread tightly in plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container.
- Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Note: For longer storage, the bread can also be sliced and frozen. To defrost, simply leave at room temperature or toast.
Health Benefits of Bacheldre Welsh Clay Pot Bread
Bacheldre’s Welsh clay pot bread not only pleases the taste buds but also brings several health benefits. Made from a combination of organic whole wheat flour and unbleached white flour, this bread is a nutritious addition to your diet. Let’s explore some of its health benefits:
1. Rich in fiber
Wholemeal flour, one of the main ingredients in the Welsh clay pot bread Bacheldre, is rich in fiber. Fiber plays a crucial role in maintaining a healthy digestive system, promoting regular bowel movements and preventing constipation. It also helps stabilize blood sugar levels and can contribute to a feeling of satiety, making it an excellent option if you’re watching your weight.
2. Packed with essential nutrients
The combination of wholemeal flour and unbleached white flour ensures that Bacheldre’s Welsh clay pot bread is full of important nutrients. Whole wheat flour contains vitamins B1, B2, B3 and B6 as well as minerals such as iron, magnesium and zinc. These nutrients are essential for the proper functioning of the body and support overall health.
3. Rich in antioxidants
The fresh herbs incorporated into this bread, including chives, parsley and sage, provide a special taste and a dose of antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect the body from oxidative stress and damage caused by harmful free radicals. Incorporating antioxidant-rich foods like this bread into your diet can contribute to a healthier immune system and reduce the risk of chronic disease.
4. Heart-healthy ingredients
Bacheldre Welsh Clay Pot Bread contains heart-healthy ingredients that may contribute to cardiovascular wellness. Olive oil, known for its monounsaturated fats, may help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. Additionally, studies suggest that eating whole grains, such as the whole wheat flour in this bread, can reduce the risk of heart disease and lower blood pressure.
5. Option without preservatives
With this homemade bread you can enjoy a preservative-free alternative compared to store-bought bread. Commercial bread often contains additives and preservatives to extend its shelf life. By baking your bread at home with organic ingredients like Bacheldre water mill flour, you have better control over what goes into your body.
With its fiber content, nutrient profile, antioxidants and heart-healthy ingredients, Bacheldre’s Welsh Clay Pot Bread is a delicious and healthy addition to any meal. Try this recipe today to enjoy the flavor while reaping the health benefits!