This recipe for fall piccalilli with pear is a spicy pickle that can only be enjoyed by non-Muslims due to the use of pork.
When consumed immediately, this cucumber imparts a delicious flavor that pairs perfectly with strong cheese.
However, as winter approaches, the flavors of these piccalilli gradually become milder, making them an ideal accompaniment to slices of ham.
- 2 small cauliflowers, cut into small florets
- 400g silver onions or pearl onions
- 600 g zucchini, cut into small pieces (approx. 2 cm pieces)
- 6 firm pears, cored and sliced like zucchini
- 100g salt
- 1.7 liters of apple cider vinegar
- finger-length piece of fresh ginger root, grated
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 3 tablespoons brown or black mustard seeds
- 300g golden powdered sugar
- 8 tbsp cornstarch
- 5 tbsp English mustard powder
- 3 tsp turmeric
To sterilize jars, run them in the dishwasher.
or wash well in hot soapy water, rinse and then dry
a low oven. If you pickle and recycle old jam
When making jars, it is important to cover the cucumber with wax
Insert the disc first so that the metal cover does not react with the disc
- In a bowl, mix vegetables, pears and salt with 2 liters of cold water, cover and leave overnight.
- The next day, drain the brine from the vegetables, rinse briefly and then place in a large pot with vinegar, ginger, coriander seeds, mustard seeds and sugar.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 8-10 minutes, until the vegetables are just tender but still slightly al dente.
- Drain the vegetables, reserving the liquid and setting aside while you prepare the sweet mustard sauce.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cornstarch, mustard powder and turmeric, then gradually add the hot vinegar, stirring until you have a lump-free, thin yellow sauce.
- Return the sauce to the pot and simmer over low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened, 4 minutes.
- Stir in the vegetables and pour hot into five sterilized 500ml jars, then seal.
- Once cooled, enjoy immediately or store in a cool, dark cupboard for 2-3 months. Store in the refrigerator after opening.
Equipment and tools
To prepare autumn piccalilli with pears, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- cutting board
- Big pot
- mixing bowl
- Glasses for pickling
The recipe for autumn piccalilli with pear may contain the following allergens:
Storage and leftovers
Once prepared, store the fall piccalilli with pear in sterilized jars. The piccalilli will last up to 6 months in a cool, dry place. After opening, store in the refrigerator and use within one month.
The pickled fall piccalilli go great with various dishes such as sandwiches, salads and cheese boards.
The Health Benefits of Autumn Piccalilli with Pear
Autumn piccalilli with pear is not only a delicious and versatile condiment, but also a dish full of health benefits. The combination of fresh ingredients in this recipe provides a range of nutrients that can support your overall well-being. Let’s take a closer look at some of the health benefits this dish offers.
Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable rich in vitamins and minerals. It is an excellent source of vitamin C, which strengthens the immune system and helps fight off infections. Cauliflower also contains fiber, which aids digestion and promotes a healthy gut.
2. Silverskin or pearl onions
Pearl onions or pearl onions are a small but nice addition to these piccalilli. These onions are full of antioxidants that protect the body from oxidative stress. They also contain compounds that may have anti-inflammatory properties.
Zucchini, also known as courgettes, are low in calories but rich in vitamins and minerals. They are an excellent source of potassium, which helps regulate blood pressure. Zucchini also contains fiber and water, which are good for digestion and hydration.
Pears add a touch of sweetness and texture to these piccalilli while offering their own health benefits. Pears are rich in fiber, which aids digestion and helps maintain a healthy weight. They also contain vitamin C, copper and antioxidants that promote a healthy immune system and protect against cell damage.
Fresh ginger roots give the piccalilli a tangy taste and bring their own health benefits. Ginger has been used for centuries to aid digestion and relieve nausea. It also has anti-inflammatory properties and can help relieve muscle pain and soreness.
6. Mustard seeds
Both brown and black mustard seeds are used in this recipe, providing a unique and tangy flavor. Mustard seeds are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for heart health. They also contain antioxidants and minerals like selenium, which support overall well-being.
Piccalilli’s bright yellow color comes from turmeric, a spice with numerous health benefits. Turmeric contains curcumin, a compound known for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It can help reduce the risk of chronic diseases and improve brain function.
As you can see, autumn piccalilli with pear is much more than just a delicious jam. It is a nutrient-dense dish that offers a number of health benefits. From boosting your immune system with vitamin C to supporting digestion with fiber, this recipe is a great addition to a healthy diet.