Artichoke Bacon Cheese Tart is a delicious dish that combines the savory flavors of artichokes, crispy bacon and rich cheese in perfect harmony. This recipe is specifically designed for non-Muslims due to the use of pork. Whether as a filling lunch or as a light dinner, it goes wonderfully with a refreshing tomato or leaf salad. If you’re feeling adventurous, you can even opt to make your own pastries, adding an extra dash of homemade goodness. Treat yourself to this delicious cake and enjoy the irresistible combination of flavors.”
- 500g pack of shortcrust pastry (thawed if frozen), or make your own dough with 200g/8oz flour and 100g/4oz butter
- 2 eggs, plus 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 slices of bacon back
- 284ml carton of double cream
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- small bunch of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 290 g jarred artichokes marinated in oil, drained, rinsed and the large pieces halved
- 100 g mature cheddar, grated
Instead of the bacon, sprinkle chopped pieces of Italian salami among the artichokes.
- Preheat the oven to fan 170°C/fan 190°C/gas 5.
- If you’re making your own pastry, do it as usual.
- Roll out the dough until it is large enough to fill a deep 9-inch (23 cm) flan pan.
- Allow the edges of the dough to extend slightly over the edge of the pan.
- Prick the dough base with a fork.
- Blind bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and lift out the paper and beans.
- Brush the dough base with a little beaten egg (from the filling).
- Put it back in the oven for 5 minutes.
- While the dough is baking, heat the oil in a frying pan.
- Fry the bacon until it turns slightly golden brown.
- Cut or tear the bacon into large pieces.
- Beat the cream with the garlic and parsley into the beaten eggs.
- Season really well.
- Arrange the artichoke pieces and bacon casually in the tart pan.
- Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Pour egg mixture over top until covered.
- Season with black pepper.
- Turn the oven down to fan 160°C/bottom heat 180°C/gas 4.
- Bake the tart for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and soft.
- Remove and allow to cool slightly before serving.
Artichoke, bacon and cheese tart
Artichoke, bacon and cheese tart
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- rolling pin
- 9-inch tart pan or cake pan
- Baking beans or cake weights
- frying pan
This recipe contains the following allergen:
- Dairy products (cream and cheese)
- Gluten (if using store-bought pastry)
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheat in the preheated oven at 180°C/350°F for about 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
Tip: Try it! Instead of the bacon, sprinkle chopped pieces of Italian salami among the artichokes.
The health benefits of artichoke, bacon and cheese tart
Artichoke Bacon Cheese Tart is a delicious dish that combines savory flavors with a flaky crust. This cake is not only a treat for your taste buds but also offers several health benefits. Let’s dwell on the nutritional value of the main ingredients:
Artichokes are a superfood packed with essential nutrients. They are an excellent source of fiber, providing approximately 10.3 grams per 100 grams. Fiber aids digestion, promotes satiety, and helps maintain a healthy weight. Artichokes are also rich in antioxidants such as quercetin and rutin, which help reduce oxidative stress and inflammation in the body.
Although bacon is often considered a luxury food, it does provide some nutritional value, especially when consumed in moderation. Bacon is a good source of protein and contains all nine essential amino acids needed for optimal health. In addition, it provides various vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B12, zinc and selenium. However, due to its high sodium and saturated fat content, it is advisable to limit your consumption of bacon and opt for leaner cuts.
When consumed in moderation, cheese can be a valuable part of a balanced diet. It is an excellent source of calcium and promotes strong bones and teeth. Cheese also contains other essential nutrients such as protein and vitamin B12. However, it is important to choose cheeses with a lower fat content, such as: B. mature cheddar to avoid excessive calorie intake.
4. Shortcrust pastry
The shortcrust pastry used for this cake provides a crunchy and aromatic base. Even though it doesn’t provide any significant health benefits, it still adds a delicious texture to the dish. If you prefer a healthier alternative, you can make your own pastry using whole wheat flour or experiment with gluten-free options.
5. Garlic and parsley
Using garlic and parsley adds more than just flavor to this recipe. Garlic is known for its potential health benefits, such as boosting the immune system and reducing the risk of certain chronic diseases. Parsley, on the other hand, is a nutrient-dense herb that is rich in vitamins A, C and K as well as folic acid and iron.
By combining these ingredients, the artichoke, bacon and cheese tart not only pampers your taste buds, but also provides a range of nutrients that can contribute to a balanced diet. Remember to enjoy this delicious dish in moderation and appreciate both its taste and its health benefits.