This rustic savory cake features a delicious combination of earthy flavors from artichokes and wild mushrooms. With its intriguing aroma and tempting presentation, it proves that vegetarian cuisine can be just as exciting and satisfying as any other. Prepared with love and inspired by nature, every bite is a blend of textures and flavors that will captivate your senses. Whether you are an avid vegetarian or just want to explore new taste experiences, this Artichoke and Wild Mushroom Cake is sure to impress you and leave you wanting more.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 300 g grilled artichoke hearts, halved
- 300 g mixed mushrooms, halve if large mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 500g pack of ready-made shortcrust pastry
- Mix 1 egg, a pinch of salt and 1 tablespoon of water until the mixture is glazed
- large handful of flat-leaf parsley leaves, very coarsely chopped
- 142 ml sour cream from the carton for serving
Try purchasing a selection of wild mushrooms online at www.wildfoods.com.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6.
- Heat half the oil in a medium frying pan and then gently fry the onions for 12-15 minutes until soft and lightly browned.
- Place the onions in a bowl and mix with the artichoke hearts, season to taste and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same pan over high heat.
- Add the mushrooms and stir-fry until soft, 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic and thyme and continue cooking for a minute.
- Remove from heat, season well and allow to cool.
- Roll out the dough on a floured work surface into a rough circle about 40 cm in diameter.
- Place the dough on a large baking sheet.
- Stack onions and artichokes in the center of the dough and distribute evenly.
- Leave a 10cm margin around the edge.
- Layer the mushrooms on top of the onions and artichokes.
- Place the edges of the dough up over the filling.
- Brush the exposed edge of the dough with the egg glaze.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the dough is crispy and golden brown.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately with sour cream and enjoy.
Equipment and tools
To prepare the artichoke and wild mushroom cake, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Large frying pan
- Sharp knife
- Garlic press
- rolling pin
- Round cake tin
- Pastry brush
The artichoke and wild mushroom cake contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (sour cream)
- Wheat (pastry)
Please ensure you are aware of and considerate of any allergies or dietary restrictions your guests may have.
Storage and leftovers
To store the Artichoke Wild Mushroom Pie, follow these guidelines:
- Allow the cake to cool completely.
- Place any leftovers in an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- When ready to eat, reheat in the oven until heated through.
Enjoy the cake within the recommended storage time and discard any leftovers that have been left out too long or show signs of spoilage.
If you are having trouble finding wild mushrooms, you can try shopping online at www.wildfoods.com. For your convenience, they offer a selection of wild mushrooms.
Below you will find the recipe for the delicious artichoke and wild mushroom cake:
Health Benefits of Artichoke and Wild Mushroom Cake
Artichokes and wild mushrooms not only add delicious flavor to the cake, but also provide a number of health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at how these ingredients contribute to a nutritious and healthy meal.
1. Artichoke hearts
Grilled artichoke hearts are the main ingredient in this cake and offer numerous health benefits:
- Rich in antioxidants: Artichokes are full of antioxidants, including cynarin and silymarin. These compounds help protect the body from harmful free radicals and oxidative stress.
- Heart health: Artichokes are cholesterol-free and contain plant compounds that may help lower LDL (bad) cholesterol levels, thereby promoting heart health.
- Digestive Benefits: The high fiber content in artichoke hearts aids digestion, promotes healthy bowel movements, and can help prevent constipation.
2. Wild mushrooms
The combination of different wild mushrooms in this cake not only ensures a unique taste, but also offers several health benefits:
- Immune-boosting properties: Wild mushrooms are rich in beta-glucans, which have been shown to increase the activity of immune cells and strengthen the immune system.
- Nutrient powerhouse: Mushrooms are a good source of B vitamins, selenium, copper and other important minerals and contribute to overall nutrition.
- Anticancer potential: Some mushroom varieties, such as shiitake and maitake, contain compounds that have been shown in studies to have anti-cancer effects, including immune-boosting and anti-tumor properties.
3. Flat-leaf parsley
This herb not only adds a touch of freshness to the dish, but also offers a number of health benefits:
- Rich in antioxidants: Flat leaf parsley is rich in antioxidants and helps fight inflammation and protect against cell damage.
- Mineral content: Parsley contains minerals such as calcium, iron and potassium, which are essential for maintaining healthy bones, proper nerve function and fluid balance in the body.
- Antimicrobial properties: Certain components of flat-leaf parsley have antimicrobial effects and can help inhibit the growth of harmful bacteria.
By incorporating these healthy ingredients into your diet, you can not only enjoy a delicious meal, but also benefit from the many health benefits they offer. So why not treat yourself to a delicious artichoke and wild mushroom cake that will not only satisfy your taste buds but also support your overall well-being?
Remember that you can find a wide selection of wild mushrooms from trusted online suppliers such as www.wildfoods.com to ensure you receive the freshest, highest quality ingredients for your culinary creations.