This Apricot Almond Fruit Cake recipe offers a delicious twist on the traditional rich fruit cake. With its lighter texture, it allows for a more refreshing and delicate flavor profile. As a blank canvas for creativity, you can let your imagination run wild and decorate this cake to your heart’s content. Whether you prefer a classic style or something more vibrant and versatile, this fruit cake provides the perfect base for your artistic expression. Enjoy making and decorating this delicious treat and let it become the centerpiece of any celebration or gathering.
- 140g golden sultanas
- 4 tbsp sherry
- 250g pack of butter, softened, plus a little butter for greasing
- 250g light, soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 200g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 100g ground almonds
- 50 g roasted almond flakes
- 140 g dried apricots, chopped
- 140g mixed peel
- Zest and squeeze 1 lemon
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- Mix the sultanas and sherry and set aside to soak for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/140°C fan/gas 3.
- Grease a deep 23cm loose-bottomed cake tin and line the bottom and sides with a double layer of baking paper, extending about 2.5cm over the sides of the tin.
- In the largest mixing bowl, stir together the butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the eggs one at a time.
- Stir in flour, baking powder and ground and sliced almonds.
- Add the soaked sultanas with the remaining sherry, dried apricots, mixed peel and all the peel and juice.
- Scrape into the cake pan and smooth the surface.
- Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 1 hour and 25 minutes.
- Poke a skewer into the center to check for doneness. If the skewer still has uncooked mixture sticking to it, bake for another 10 minutes before checking again.
- Let cool in the tin.
- Decorated or wrapped in baking paper and foil, the cake will keep for up to a month.
Equipment and tools
Here are the main equipment and tools you will need to make this apricot almond fruit cake:
- mixing bowl
- Electric mixer or hand mixer
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- Round cake tin (approx. 20 cm diameter)
- parchment paper
- Cooking spray or additional butter for greasing
- Cooling rack
- Knife for chopping apricots
- Toaster or oven for roasting almonds
This apricot almond fruit cake contains the following allergens:
- butter (milk)
- Flour (wheat)
Please use caution if you or anyone eating this cake has allergies or intolerances to these ingredients.
Storage and leftovers
How to store and use leftovers of this apricot almond fruit cake:
- Once the fruit cake has completely cooled, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or foil.
- You can store the fruit cake at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- If you prefer to keep it longer, store it in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- This fruit cake can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Wrap it securely with several layers of plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container before freezing. Thaw in the refrigerator before serving.
- To serve leftovers, slice the fruit cake and enjoy as is, or warm slightly in the microwave or oven. It also goes well with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Note: The flavor of the fruit cake may intensify over time, making it even more delicious!
Health Benefits of Apricot and Almond Fruit Cake
The recipe for apricot and almond fruit cake not only offers a delicious taste experience, but also has numerous health benefits. Packed with natural ingredients such as dried fruits, nuts and citrus fruits, this cake provides a rich source of essential nutrients and antioxidants that contribute to a healthier lifestyle.
1. Golden Sultanas
Golden sultanas, the main dried fruit used in this fruit cake, are an excellent source of fiber, iron and potassium. Fiber helps regulate digestion and promotes bowel movement regularity, while iron is essential for producing red blood cells and preventing anemia. Potassium contributes to heart health by regulating blood pressure.
Almonds, both ground and toasted flakes, provide a nutty flavor and offer numerous health benefits. These nuts are rich in healthy fats and proteins, making them a nutritious addition to the cake. They also contain vitamin E, which acts as an antioxidant and protects cells from damage caused by free radicals.
3. Dried apricots
Dried apricots are a natural and delicious way to add sweetness to fruit cake. They are a rich source of fiber, potassium, and vitamins A and C. Potassium helps maintain healthy blood pressure and supports heart health, while vitamins A and C have antioxidant properties that boost the immune system and promote healthy skin.
4. Mixed zest, lemon zest and orange zest
The addition of mixed zest, lemon zest and orange zest gives the fruit cake a wonderful citrus flavor. Citrus fruits are known for their high vitamin C content, which plays a crucial role in maintaining a strong immune system. They also contain essential oils that contribute to the overall aroma and flavor of the cake.
While sherry is primarily used to enhance the flavor of the fruitcake, it’s worth noting that it contains small amounts of antioxidants called polyphenols. These compounds have been linked to various health benefits, including reduced risk of heart disease and improved cognitive function.
6. Light soft brown sugar
Light, soft brown sugar, used as a sweetener in the recipe, gives the fruit cake a hint of caramel flavor. Although it is still sugar and should be consumed in moderation, using brown sugar instead of refined white sugar retains some of the natural molasses content, providing a slightly higher mineral content.
7. Eggs, butter and flour
Although eggs, butter and flour are basic ingredients in baking, in moderation they do not provide significant health benefits. However, they add to the texture and structure of the fruit cake, making it a delicious and filling treat.
In summary, the apricot almond fruit cake not only pleases your taste buds but also offers a number of health benefits. From the fiber and potassium-rich sultanas and apricots to the antioxidant-rich almonds and citrus fruits, each ingredient serves its purpose to enhance both the taste and nutritional value of this delicious dessert.