“The apple pie ‘Maman Blanc’ is an exquisite treat, especially in autumn. With its delicious combination of flavors and textures, this dessert is sure to impress. What makes it even better is its simplicity – there is no need to pre-bake the crust, saving you time and effort. The delicious sweetness of caramelized apples paired with a buttery crust creates a heavenly harmony that will satisfy any sweet tooth. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or just want a delicious treat, this apple pie is the perfect choice.”
- 250 g flour
- 125g unsalted butter, diced, at room temperature
- 1 medium egg
- 15g unsalted butter
- 1½ tsp lemon juice
- 65 g powdered sugar, plus 1 tbsp
- 1-1½ tsp Calvados
- 3-4 Cox’s, Worcester, Russet or Braeburn apples, peeled, cored, each cut into 10 segments
- 100 ml cream
- 1 medium egg
- Powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Crème fraîche, for serving
- Mix the flour, butter and a pinch of sea salt in a food processor until you get a sandy consistency.
- Add egg and 1 teaspoon cold water and puree briefly.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
- Flatten the dough to 1 cm thick, place it between 2 layers of cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the chilled dough between cling film to a thickness of 2 mm.
- Place a cake tin or cake ring on a baking tray and remove the top layer of cling film.
- Pour the dough into the pan, tucking it into the edges and removing any excess.
- Squeeze the dough together and press it down until it stands 2mm above the tin all around, prick the bottom with a fork and chill for 20 minutes.
- In a saucepan, heat butter, lemon juice and 15g icing sugar until melted.
- Remove from heat, stir in Calvados and set aside.
- Preheat the oven with a baking tray in it to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Arrange apple pieces in concentric circles on the cooled base.
- Brush the apples with the Calvados mixture and bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6 and continue cooking for 15-20 minutes.
- Mix the whipping cream, egg and the remaining 50 g powdered sugar.
- Sprinkle the tart with 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar and pour in the vanilla sauce.
- Bake for another 10 minutes until the filling has set.
- Remove the tart from the oven and allow it to cool slightly for 1 hour.
- Carefully remove the mold or cake ring and serve with crème fraîche.
Equipment and tools
To prepare this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- rolling pin
- Flour sifter
- cake tin
- Pastry brush
- measuring spoon
- measuring cup
- Cooling rack
This apple pie recipe contains the following allergens:
- Gluten (from flour)
- Dairy products (from unsalted butter, double cream and crème fraîche)
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers or want to make the tart in advance, follow these storage guidelines:
- Store the apple pie in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, place tart in preheated 355°F (180°C) oven for a few minutes until warmed through.
- You can also freeze the apple pie for up to 1 month. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil, then thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
Health Benefits of Apple Pie “Maman Blanc”
Maman Blanc apple pie is not only a delicious dessert but also a nutritious treat that offers several health benefits. This delicious tart is made with fresh apples, which are full of important nutrients and antioxidants and contribute to your overall well-being. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of this delicious dessert.
1. Rich in vitamins and minerals
Maman Blanc apple tart is made primarily from apples, which are an excellent source of vitamins and minerals. Apples are known for their high vitamin C content, which can boost your immune system and promote collagen production for healthier skin. In addition, they contain essential minerals such as potassium, which helps regulate blood pressure, and fiber, which aids digestion.
2. Antioxidant powerhouse
The apples used in Maman Blanc apple pie are rich in antioxidants, which can have numerous health benefits. Antioxidants help protect your cells from damage caused by harmful molecules called free radicals, which can contribute to chronic disease and aging. By eating this cake, you can increase your antioxidant intake and support your body’s defense against oxidative stress.
3. Digestive health
Using apples in this tart provides a good amount of fiber, which is essential for maintaining a healthy digestive system. Fiber adds volume to your stool, promotes regular bowel movements and prevents constipation. Additionally, it can help you feel fuller for longer, aid in weight management, and reduce the risk of overeating.
4. Nutritious dough
The crust of this apple pie is made with flour and unsalted butter. The butter makes the cake more substantial, but also provides a decent amount of essential nutrients. Butter is a good source of fat-soluble vitamins like vitamin A, which supports healthy vision and immune function.
5. Moderate enjoyment
This delicious apple pie can be part of a balanced diet when consumed in moderation. Although it contains some sugar, the overall nutritional value of apples and other ingredients outweighs any potential drawbacks. Here’s how to satisfy your sweet tooth without compromising your health goals.
Remember that homemade treats like Maman Blanc apple pie can be part of a healthy lifestyle when consumed in moderation. With the combination of fresh apples, nutritious ingredients and delicious flavors, this cake is a perfect treat for the taste and health conscious. Serve with a dollop of crème fraîche for a truly delicious experience. Enjoy this delicious dessert knowing that you are also providing your body with valuable nutrients.