Introducing our delicious “Apple & Date Turnover” recipe – a delicious treat that is guaranteed to brighten up even the dreariest of winter days. Imagine this: a golden, warm pastry encasing juicy apples and sweet dates, creating a heavenly blend of flavors. But that’s not all!
What takes this delicious batter to the next level is the rich, velvety-spicy custard drizzled generously on top. Imagine how the gentle creaminess dances with the fruity deliciousness, making every heavenly bite an unforgettable experience. This divine combination is the ultimate way to banish the winter blues and transport you to a cozy, pampering paradise. So get ready for pure culinary enjoyment!
- 1 tablespoon flour, plus a little flour for dusting
- 375g pack of whole butter puff pastry
- 2 eating apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 2 pitted dates, finely chopped
- 25g powdered sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten, for brushing
- Glaze, for serving (optional)
Do it differently: apple and cranberry slice
Make the recipe as above, but swap it out
Dates for 2 tbsp dried cranberries and
Squeeze the lemon juice well
Orange juice and zest of half an orange.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Place a baking sheet in the oven.
- Lightly flour a work surface and roll out the dough into a 25 x 30 cm rectangle.
- Mix the apples with the dates, 1 tablespoon of flour, sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
- Spread the apple mixture over one half of the dough, leaving an edge free.
- Brush the edges of the dough with a little egg.
- Fold the other half of the dough over it and press the edges together well so that they seal well.
- Score the top of the dough with a knife.
- Brush the top of the dough with the remaining egg.
- Place the dough in the freezer for 10 minutes to firm up the dough.
- Carefully lift the dough onto the hot baking tray.
- Bake the dough for 20 minutes.
- Drizzle with icing if desired.
- Serve the dough with vanilla sauce or ice cream.
Equipment and tools
To prepare the Apple & Date Turnover recipe, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- rolling pin
- Pastry brush
- parchment paper
The apple and date turnover recipe contains the following allergens:
- Wheat (plain flour)
Please note that depending on the brand and origin of the ingredients used, the recipe may also come into contact with other allergens.
Storage and leftovers
If you have any leftover Apple & Date Turnover, you can store it in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. Alternatively, you can store them in the fridge for up to 5 days.
To reheat the dumplings, place them in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for 5-10 minutes or until warmed through. Serve them plain or, if desired, with a sprinkle of powdered sugar.
Health Benefits of Apple and Date Turnover
When it comes to enjoying delicious desserts, it’s always beneficial if they also offer health benefits. The Apple & Date Turnover is one such treat that not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers several potential benefits for your well-being.
1. Nutrient boost
The apple and date turnover contains two main ingredients: apples and dates. Both ingredients are rich in essential nutrients that can contribute to a balanced diet. Apples are a great source of fiber, vitamin C and antioxidants. On the other hand, dates are rich in fiber, potassium and various vitamins and minerals.
2. Digestive health
Thanks to the high fiber content in both apples and dates, consuming Apple & Date Turnover can support healthy digestion. Fiber adds volume to your stool, promotes regular bowel movements and thus prevents constipation. Additionally, a high-fiber diet can help regulate blood sugar levels and improve overall gut health.
3. Antioxidant power
The combination of apples and dates in this turnover provides a significant antioxidant boost. Apples contain antioxidants such as quercetin and catechin, which help neutralize harmful free radicals in the body. Dates are also rich in antioxidants, which combat oxidative stress and protect against chronic diseases such as heart disease and certain types of cancer.
4. Heart health
Eating apples and dates may also have potential heart health benefits. Both apples and dates have been linked to a reduced risk of heart disease. Apples contain soluble fiber, which can help lower cholesterol, while dates are a good source of potassium, a mineral that supports heart function and helps regulate blood pressure.
5. Energy boost
The combination of natural sugar from apples and dates provides a quick and natural energy boost. These sugars provide instant energy without the crash that can occur after eating processed sugary snacks. The Apple & Date Turnover can be a healthier alternative when you need a pick-me-up during the day.
So next time you’re craving a delicious dessert, treat yourself to an apple date turnover. Not only does it satisfy your sweet tooth, but it also offers you potential health benefits. Remember to enjoy it in moderation as part of a balanced diet.