Treat yourself to the heavenly taste of our Almond Raisin Cake with Sherry, a delicious treat that goes perfectly with a refreshing glass of sherry. This moist and flavorful cake is best made a day in advance to allow the rich flavors to mingle and intensify, ensuring an unforgettable dining experience.
Made from the finest almonds and juicy raisins, every bite offers a delicious combination of nutty sweetness and fruity taste. The sherry infusion gives the cake a touch of sophistication, making it an ideal dessert for special occasions or an evening of indulgence.
- 250g raisins
- 200ml medium or sweet sherry (try Amontillado or Pedro Ximénez)
- 150 ml thick natural yogurt
- 150 ml vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 140g plain flour
- 100g ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 100g light muscovado sugar
- powdered sugar, for serving
Because this cake keeps well, I always make it at least a day in advance. If you want to reheat the cake before serving, return it to the tin, cover with aluminum foil and place in the oven at 160°C/fan 140°C/gas 3 for about 10-15 minutes.
- Place the raisins in a bowl, pour the sherry over them and then let them soften for at least 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
- Lightly grease a 20cm diameter round cake tin and then place a circle of baking paper on the bottom.
- Mix yogurt, oil and eggs.
- Place the remaining dry ingredients in a large bowl, pour in the yogurt mixture and stir until smooth.
- Scoop half of the raisins out of the sherry and stir them into the batter.
- Pour the dough into the prepared pan and smooth the surface with a spoon.
- Bake in the oven for 50-55 minutes, until the top springs back when lightly pressed and a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Take a skewer and poke it all over the cake.
- Pour 5 tablespoons of the soaked sherry over it and let it take effect.
- You can make up to this point 3 days in advance and store in an airtight container.
- Serve warm or let cool, then dust with powdered sugar.
- Heat the rest of the soaked raisins and the sherry and serve with the cake along with some vanilla ice cream.
Equipment and tools
To prepare this almond and raisin cake with sherry, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- Whisk or electric mixer
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cake Tin
- Aluminum foil
This almond raisin cake with sherry contains the following allergens:
Please be aware of these allergens if you or your guests have allergies or dietary restrictions.
Storage and leftovers
This almond raisin cake will keep for several days and tastes even better in advance. Here are some storage and serving tips:
- Once the cake is baked and cooled, you can store it in an airtight container at room temperature.
- If you would like to reheat the cake before serving, place it back in the tin, cover with aluminum foil and place in a preheated oven at 160°C/fan 140°C/gas mark 3 for around 10-15 minutes.
- Leftover cake can also be frozen for up to 2 months. Before freezing, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then foil.
- When ready to serve, let the frozen cake thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then bring it to room temperature before serving.
- For a beautiful presentation, dust with powdered sugar just before serving.
Health Benefits of Almond Raisin Cake with Sherry
Almond Raisin Cake with Sherry is a delicious treat that also offers some surprising health benefits. Packed with nutrient-dense ingredients, this cake can be enjoyed guilt-free as it offers a range of potential health benefits. Let’s explore the health benefits of this delicious dessert, from the antioxidants in raisins to the heart-healthy properties of almonds.
1. Antioxidant-rich raisins
Raisins, one of the main ingredients of this cake, are not only a sweet addition but also a good source of antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect our cells from damage caused by harmful free radicals and reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease.
2. Heart-Healthy Sherry
Medium or sweet sherry like Amontillado or Pedro Ximénez not only gives this cake a unique flavor but may also have heart-healthy properties. Moderate alcohol consumption, such as enjoying a slice of sherry cake, has been linked to a lower risk of heart disease when consumed in moderation.
3. High protein yogurt
The addition of thick natural yogurt to this cake provides a portion of protein, essential for the maintenance and repair of body tissues. Protein also promotes feelings of fullness and satiety, making this cake a filling treat that can curb cravings and prevent overeating.
4. Nourishing almonds
Ground almonds not only give this cake a rich and moist texture but also provide many health benefits. Almonds are rich in healthy fats, fiber, proteins, vitamins and minerals. They are known to support heart health, help with weight control, and contribute to healthy brain function.
5. Nutrient-rich flour
Plain flour, used in moderation in this recipe, provides a source of energy in the form of carbohydrates. Although it should be consumed in moderation due to its refined nature, it still contributes to the overall nutritional profile of the cake.
6. Moisturizing vegetable oil
Vegetable oil adds moisture to the cake, ensuring a soft and tender consistency. While oil should be consumed in moderation, choosing a high-quality vegetable oil can provide essential fatty acids and promote a balanced diet.
7. Natural sweetener
To add sweetness to the almond raisin cake, light muscovado sugar is used. Although it is still a form of sugar and should be consumed in moderation, it offers a slightly higher mineral content compared to regular white sugar, making it a slightly more nutrient-dense choice.
This Almond Raisin Cake with Sherry is a delicious dessert that offers more than just great taste. With its range of nutritious ingredients, from raisins and almonds to yogurt and vegetable oil, it offers a range of potential health benefits. So treat yourself to a piece of this delicious cake and benefit from the health-promoting ingredients at the same time.