Experience the delicious combination of almond and lemon curd with our irresistible almond and lemon curd buttons. Every bite of these crumbly cookies treats your taste buds to an unexpected burst of flavor as you discover the hidden heart of tangy lemon curd. The rich, nutty almond complements the spicy lemon curd and provides a heavenly treat for your senses. These bite-sized buttons are perfect for enjoying a sweet and citrusy moment of pure bliss. Treat yourself to the surprise and joy of our Almond & Lemon Curd Buttons today!
- 250 g butter, soft
- 140g golden icing sugar, plus a little more
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest 2 lemons
- 300g plain flour
- 100g ground almonds
- some milk to seal
- about 3 tablespoons lemon curd
- Almond flakes for the topping
Leave out the lemon curd and just roll it out
Cut out thick, lemony shortbreads.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5.
- Mix butter, sugar, egg, vanilla, zest and a pinch of salt in a large bowl until smooth.
- Fold in flour and ground almonds.
- Form the mixture into 2 rounds and press flat.
- Wrap the circles in plastic wrap and let them rest in the refrigerator until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Roll out a piece of dough on a floured surface to about 1lb thick.
- Cut circles out of the dough using a 7cm cookie cutter.
- Brush the circles with milk.
- Place 20p drops of lemon curd in the center of half of the circles.
- Carefully place the remaining circles on top of the lemon curd.
- Use your fingers to gently press the edges to seal.
- Sprinkle some powdered sugar and flaked almonds on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes until light golden.
- Repeat the process with the remaining dough.
- Squeeze any leftovers together and roll up again.
- You can freeze the cookies before baking, but add up to 5 minutes to the cooking time.
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- Electric mixer or wooden spoon
- Zester or grater
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- baking paper
- Baking paper or silicone baking mats
- rolling pin
- Cookie cutter or stamp
- Pastry brush
This recipe contains the following allergens:
Please be aware of these allergens if you or anyone consuming the recipe has allergies or dietary restrictions.
Storage and leftovers
Follow these guidelines to store and use leftover Almond & Lemon Curd Buttons:
- Allow the cookies to cool completely before storing.
- Place the cookies in an airtight container or resealable bag.
- Store in a cool, dry place for up to 1 week.
- If desired, you can also freeze the cookies for up to 3 months.
Enjoy the delicious almond and lemon flavor of these cookies even after storage!
Health Benefits of Almond and Lemon Curd Buttons
Almond lemon curd buttons are not only a delicious treat for the taste buds but also come with a number of health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at the ingredients and how they contribute to your well-being:
Ground almonds are a main ingredient in Almond & Lemon Curd Buttons. These tiny, nutrient-dense nuts offer several health benefits:
- Rich in Healthy Fats: Almonds are a great source of monounsaturated fats, which are heart-healthy and can help lower bad cholesterol.
- Good for brain health: Almonds contain vitamin E, which is known for its antioxidant properties and can help protect brain cells from oxidative stress.
- Excellent source of protein: Almonds are a plant-based protein that can support muscle repair and growth.
- Rich in vitamins and minerals: They provide essential nutrients such as magnesium, calcium and potassium, which are vital for overall health.
- Rich in fiber: Almonds are a good source of fiber, promoting healthy digestion and keeping you fuller for longer.
These tangy citrus fruits not only give Almond & Lemon Curd Buttons a refreshing taste, but also offer several health benefits:
- Rich in Vitamin C: Lemons are known for their high vitamin C content, which supports the immune system and helps the body fight off infections and illnesses.
- Promotes digestion: The citric acid contained in lemons stimulates the production of digestive juices and thus contributes to better digestion.
- Antioxidant Properties: Lemons are packed with antioxidants that help protect cells from damage caused by harmful molecules called free radicals.
- Alkalizing effect: Although lemons are naturally acidic, they have an alkalizing effect on the body. For optimal health, it is important to balance the body’s pH.
- Hydration: Lemons are a great source of water, which is crucial for maintaining adequate hydration.
3. Golden powdered sugar
While it’s important to consume added sugar in moderation, the golden powdered sugar used in this recipe offers some health benefits due to its less refined nature. Compared to white sugar, it contains more nutrients such as calcium, iron and potassium, although in small amounts.
Note: Individuals with special dietary needs or health conditions should consume Almond & Lemon Curd Buttons in moderation and consult a physician if necessary.
In summary, almond and lemon curd buttons not only satisfy your sweet tooth but also provide a dose of valuable nutrients. Incorporating these treats into a balanced diet can contribute to your overall well-being.